Woman Tourist Killed By Bag Snatchers

Flashermac

Cant see why Patts should be that different to Puket - the same basic rules should apply as far as getting ripped off.Obviously finding acceptable accommodation at the right price is a major factor and local knowledge is key here.But I suppose sticking to where you know and feel comfortable and have connections is a good idea,thats why I wouldnt consider Puket - never been and its reputation as a tourist trap puts me off. :twocents:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my time in Thailand I have only ever been to Phuket once around 1998, I went for one week and left after 2 nights vowing never to return. As for Pattaya I lived there between 1991-1999 and again ( mid-week only) between 2005-2008, big difference between the two places.

I haven't been to Phuket in 20 years. I could see the way it was developing; nevertheless, I was shocked when I saw some of Lazy Phil's photos of the island. Patong was a quiet little village in the late '80s. Now it looks like Pattaya transported and dropped onto Phuket. :shocked:

In my time in Thailand I have only ever been to Phuket once around 1998, I went for one week and left after 2 nights vowing never to return. As for Pattaya I lived there between 1991-1999 and again ( mid-week only) between 2005-2008, big difference between the two places.

Works for me. I wonder if you could have endured that many years on the Gold Coast - I know I couldn't.

My link

320564-3x2-700x467.jpg

Hell with ocean views.

I didn't know about the motobike scam.

----

Calls for Thailand to protect tourists

Craig Skehan

June 30, 2012

THE Australian government has called on Thai authorities to clamp down on violence, extortion and scams against foreign tourists on the resort island of Phuket.

The call comes after the June 20 stabbing murder of 60-year-old Michelle Smith by a bag-snatcher. Australia's ambassador to Thailand, James Wise, yesterday flew in from Bangkok to meet provincial leaders and senior police.

There have been concerted attempts by honorary consuls from countries including Australia, Germany, the Netherlands and Britain to ensure a crackdown on thugs and organised criminal rip-offs.

But bloody assaults have continued unabated - often carried out by the operators of taxi services as well as various touts and scam merchants.

Scams include gross overcharging of tourists by some taxis and tuk tuks, as well as demands for huge cash payments for allegedly damaged jet skis that have been hired on Phuket's beaches. Another racket centres on renting motorcycles and then arranging to have them stolen by an accomplice. The luckless visitor is then made to pay thousands of dollars.

In both the jet ski and motorcycle abuses, tourists have little room to manoeuvre as they have already handed over their passports as security and the criminals have links to corrupt Phuket police and politicians.

The Australian honorary consul Larry Cunningham, who accompanied Mr Wise to yesterday's talks, said far too little had been done to protect foreign visitors.

Referring to numerous assaults by tuk tuk and taxi drivers - often in disputes over inflated fares - he said: ''Some of these people are just looking for trouble, but the police are not dealing with them.''

Sources in the Australian expatriate community - which numbers some 2000 - referred to a ''transport mafia'' with high level local political protection.

It is estimated there are about 20,000 Australian tourists on Phuket at any given time.

An Australian who owns a restaurant on Patong Beach, Wal Brown, sees violence night after night on the Bangla Road nightclub and go-go bar strip.

He heads a group of 25 foreign volunteers called International Liaison Officers who co-operate with Thai authorities and conduct foot patrols.

He called on the Australian government to provide written safety and scam warnings to all passengers on direct flights to Phuket from the major Australian cities.

The Age, Australia

kamui I reckon this article is spot on & wont change a thing on the phuket side, but at least helps to warn the unsuspecting visitor ;)

so clearly the only way to go if visiting the paradise island is to stay as far away from the transport mafia as possible as well as to have some luck!

arranging your own transport either via rental company or hotel all the way from airport or even driving down from bkk lol!

phuket area remains a very nice place, but more and more its necessary to stay away from the worst hotspots even from the main island if so be.

it's pointless to try defending the place and say it's perfectly safe as long as one aint clueless until one get in the middle of an ugly event :elephant:

as gobble said - phuket and bali are the major beach destinations in SEA & since the bomb attack at kuta Phuket has gotten all the bad press kinda like an ongoing tsunami of bad press!!!

would I still visit? hell yeah on a few nights self drive probably up khao lak / similan way ;)

kamui I reckon this article is spot on & wont change a thing on the phuket side, but at least helps to warn the unsuspecting visitor ;)

so clearly the only way to go if visiting the paradise island is to stay as far away from the transport mafia as possible as well as to have some luck!

arranging your own transport either via rental company or hotel all the way from airport or even driving down from bkk lol!

phuket area remains a very nice place, but more and more its necessary to stay away from the worst hotspots even from the main island if so be.

it's pointless to try defending the place and say it's perfectly safe as long as one aint clueless until one get in the middle of an ugly event :elephant:

as gobble said - phuket and bali are the major beach destinations in SEA & since the bomb attack at kuta Phuket has gotten all the bad press kinda like an ongoing tsunami of bad press!!!

would I still visit? hell yeah on a few nights self drive probably up khao lak / similan way ;)

i have said i would never go to Pattaya but you can never say never,just the place does'nt appeal to me after Years going to Phuket.

but are people saying similar scams are not tried by the locals in Pattaya?.

many of you are Pattaya lovers but say you would never go to Phuket because of the many scams you have heard about?.

as i say,i don't hire jet-ski's,use taxi's unless booked from my hotel,go off with some guy who promises me a good time in a bar off the beaten track or walk around areas i don't know.

i know where i can go for a good time but will go to places i don't know when with local friends,and i've had some good times.

you all sound quite sensible and i imagine you would spot a scam on Phuket in the same way you would spot one in Pattaya.

i don't trust strangers and am wary of them.

funnily enough i'm not really aware of any scams directed at me during my earlier visits but in the last 4 visits people have tried to hit on me left,right and centre.

but i just say 'no thanks' and walk away.

saw a report somewhere recently about a bar-owner in Patong who said he witnessed violence every night in the town.

very different to my take on the place and while of course i've seen things happen from time to time it's normally the tourists who start it.

but i'm not saying some nasty things do not happen in the area.

the biggest scammers in my opinion are definately the BG's.

as i say,i don't hire jet-ski's,use taxi's unless booked from my hotel,go off with some guy who promises me a good time in a bar off the beaten track or walk around areas i don't know.

having said that I *do* do all the above (in Phuket) and have never been scammed there. Some days I may as well have a sign on my back saying "scam me" but for some reason it has never happened - constantly drunk, wandering aimlessly through areas I have no knowledge of, drinking at any place which will serve me, and going home with anyone who's up for it.

Add to that the latest STD test came back negative! BINGO!

cheers red :beer:

anyway whats chalerm supposed to do that will limit the mafia activities towards tourists?

of course thai nationals arent automatically immune to the scams either. dont see locals or upcountry or even bangkokians being able to bargain with the transport mafia, but probably they're better at using other options :snowcool:

party on phuket!

at least the murderer was found & arrested, but lets see what kind of sentence he may get if found guilty...

Archived