Olympics

sayjann

I watched the LA Olympics in Thailand, with international TV coverage (from Oz, I think). It was fair and unbiased. However, I saw complaints in the press about the US TV coverage. Said it covered minor events with US participants instead of major events without. It seems American TV has to act like a cheering section for the country. I watched the Atlanta Olympics in the States and the coverage certainly seemed that way. 

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...In my personal definition, a sport is any game that involves a certain degree of athletic ability and skill and there is an obvious winner that any observer can determine.

So, in my definition, gymnastics, diving and any contest where you have a judge that has to tell the crowd who won is NOT a sport...

Gymnastics and diving require superb athletic ability and skill but do require a judge (2/3), whereas

shooting and archery require next to no athletic ability but do require skill and do not require a judge (2/3).

However I would say that the requirement for little or no athletic ability would relegate shooting and archery to the non sport category. IMHO of course.

One persons definition of what is and isn't a sport can be debated ad nauseum, a lot of people do consider darts and billiards/pool etc a sport, especially those who play it - I'd consider it a game myself, but then again, it's called the "Olympic Games" isn't it, not Olympic Sports..

I was involved in the Police and Emergency Services Games down under earlier this year and was surprised they included PS3 (or XBox), as well as darts amongst other "different" games but I think that was more to cater for retired lads than anything else (darts, not ps3).

Thailand's first Olympic medal, a silver to a woman weight lifter. Another Thai just missed the bronze. Earlier a probable winner was eliminated when she injured her arm and couldn't lift what she has many times before. Who'd have ever thought that Thai gals would be winning medals in weight lifting? They've been doing it for several Olympics now. :surprised:

"In the canoe slalom, Hermann Ludwig Husslein failed to progress to the finals of the men's kayak (K1).

In the qualifying round, the Thai-German came in 19th place in the 22-player event with the top 15 reaching the finals."

My link

I taught a Thai gal named Frieda once. German-American papa, pretty girl with norks like canteloups. :)

LOL...blah...blah...blah. Politics is now part of sport and has been for decades as much as we may not like it or pretend it isn't. Since Sayjann won't answer the question ( :neener: haha) did anyone else notice any special applause for those athletes? Just curious. Nothing more. In the '84 Olympics in LA, the one where the Soviets boycotted (as a response to the '80 boycott by America), the Romanians and any other Soviet bloc nation got extra applause.

Okay, I'll go now.

nothing to do about your country who are famous bias in every sport.

each country got the applause wether bigger or smaller.

some of the arab countries got big applause because of the decision to have women athletes included for the first time.

the average fan does'nt give a fuck about politics,i know i don't.

should China be banned from all competitions because of their politics.... :dunno:

of course the major nations with the bigger teams got bigger cheers,but that is expected.

Steve,i wonder how much you saw of the LIVE ceremony?.

US TV is reknowned for showing it's own athletes and celebrations and ignoring nations they are not intersted in.

btw,you can watch the whole parade online if you have any interest and you can see the reaction of the crowd.

One persons definition of what is and isn't a sport can be debated ad nauseum, a lot of people do consider darts and billiards/pool etc a sport, especially those who play it - I'd consider it a game myself, but then again, it's called the "Olympic Games" isn't it, not Olympic Sports..

just remember when De Corbetain revived the games he won a gold medal.

for.....POETRY.......

1900 Olympics:

"Some unusual events were contested for the only time in the history of the Games including automobile and motorcycle racing, ballooning, cricket, croquet, Basque pelota, 200m swimming obstacle race and underwater swimming."

Wikipedia

Archived