Olympics

sayjann

As Mekong proved, your statement is completely wrong and as Sayjaan stated, there is no chance of the UK ever getting more medals than China or the USA. What a fool. :shakehead

Scotland have contributed to 4 of the Gold Medals. Also a couple of silvers and a bronze. With Chris Hoy due to race again and Andy Murray in two tennis finals then hopefully we'll contribute a few more. :biggrin:

HT,the Olympics have been a BRITISH team for a long time.

that's the make-up of the event unlike the Commonwealth Games.

it does'nt matter which of the 4 'Countries' they come from as they are a TEAM under the same flag.

but on a side note,i'm disappointed in one respect.

in the UK we have a public vote each Year for SPORTS PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR and it's obvious Jess Ennis will walk away with it.

after all she was touted as the 'face of GB sports' and her billboards are all over London.

and the papers all have her face on the front pages.

not taking away from her as her gold medal was a fantastic achievement and all brits should be proud of her.

but to me the cyclist Bradley Wiggins should win for his efforts this last Year.

winner of the top 3 cycling events in the world and another gold at the games adding to his successes in the past.

but the public vote WILL go to Ennis because of the promotional campaign behind her.

and i find that a shame because her achivements this Year have not been as good as Wiggins.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyway, HT might not be completely wrong in regard to the host country ranking. I guess that there exists a statistics that shows that the host nation got a medal boost which pushed the host nation above its historical average in the medal ranking.

correct, there is always a HUGE home advantage at the games.....

As Mekong proved, your statement is completely wrong and as Sayjaan stated, there is no chance of the UK ever getting more medals than China or the USA. What a fool. :shakehead

Scotland have contributed to 4 of the Gold Medals. Also a couple of silvers and a bronze. With Chris Hoy due to race again and Andy Murray in two tennis finals then hopefully we'll contribute a few more. :biggrin:

Chris Hoy, Gold, Cycling, Team Sprint

Heather Stanning, Gold, Rowing, Coxless Pair

Timothy Baillie, Gold, Canoeing Slalom, C-2 team

Katherine Grainger, Gold, Rowing, Double Sculls

David Florence, Silver, Canoeing Slalom, C-2 team

Michael Jamieson, Silver, Swimming, 200m Breaststroke

Daniel Purvis, Bronze, Gymnastics, Team All-round

and Andy Murray tday, well done on him.....

BB

Yep, great win over Federer and he's about to play in the mixed doubles final very shortly.

Germany failed miserably on Sunday:

Equestians; major fail (usually they were going for gold)

Running: nothing

Gymnastics: nothing

Beach Volleyball: nothing

Fencing: 1 bronze medal...

"NBC forced to apologise after ill-timed ad features a monkey doing gymnastics - right after showing Gabby Douglas' gold medal victory"

You have to ask, if anyone would be offended, if the monkey ad was played, after a caucasian winning gold in gymnastics...

I'd think that it's time to stop being offended by everything all the time.

Would one be offended by a beer ad (she's a boozer?), a soap opera ad (she's a non intellectual?), an ad for household cleaning products (subjugated female?), an ad for Macdonalds (she eats poorly?).

Maybe it's time to stop playing things after other things, as the audience can't separate them, a 10 second black screen with soothing elevator music, could separate every item, this would allow the feverish brows of the entertained masses to cool slightly and any thought that was coursing through their illiterate, prejudiced minds, would have slid from the uncleaned toilet that is their short term memory, at about second 6 or 7, allowing them to be entertained afresh, by the next item of content, untainted by rising passion of outrage engendered by memory the last item, which even though unrelated to the present item, now is removed from their ken.

Yep, great win over Federer and he's about to play in the mixed doubles final very shortly.

Munchie,

I congratulate your Countryman on his effort....and result...good to see him finally capture a big one

BUT I wouldn't call it a great win.

To me Federer looked like he was auditioning for a re make of...Weekend at Bernies... I have never seen him so lethargic and out of sorts.

Farrrrk....even Greg Norman would have beaten him.....LOL

Archived