Windows 8 - What's The Scuttlebut?

unit731

OK. I was absolutely wrong with waitng for Vista.

And yes, I did upgrade my new old or old new pc from Vista to Windows 7.

But on to the topic here. Any words, comments, rumors, ideas, suggestions, complaints, about the soon to be launched Windows 8?

My link

Some features in Windows 8 are of clearer business value, say King and other industry analysts. After spending a few months getting to know the developer preview release, I've scouted out 13 less-discussed features and talked to experts to get their take on whom, if anyone, these features will benefit.

At the retail store/market some of the new computers sold today come with a US $14.95 future upgrade to Windows 8.

Valid only to January 31, 2013.

Same same down here mate - every Windows (7) PC sold comes with the $15 downloadable upgrade. Valid until Jan 31st I think means it comes out then (Win8) - after that one would imagine the new PC's come installed with the new Windows.

Thinking about an upgrade myself, some things just don't run on Linux...

Same same down here mate - every Windows (7) PC sold comes with the $15 downloadable upgrade. Valid until Jan 31st I think means it comes out then (Win8) - after that one would imagine the new PC's come installed with the new Windows.

Thinking about an upgrade myself, some things just don't run on Linux...

= Is that even with wine or in a vm?

I have a few pieces of work software that refuse to work in a vm but that's what multi booting allows :-)

No problems running Win 7, Linux and OS X on the same core 2 duo machine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From what I have seen and read about it. I will probably hate it to. Especially the look, which as far a I can gather you cannot change back to the old "classic" one, basically being forced to use the new ugly look.

I just brought my old 9 year old desktop back to life. It now has a "new" second hand motherboard and a "new" CPU of more recent vintage. Windows 7 works like sunshine on it. Only Windows 7 doesn't support the old graphics card and sound blaster. Luckily there were free driver projects that had build drivers for the sound blaster which makes it work and the XP driver is supposed to work but now the machine crashes if I play video (which it didn't do before). So I have to find a graphics card supported by win 7 that still works in the old architecture of an old motherboard.

I also installed Ubuntu and it looks like there is a big chance that with the big changes in Windows 8 Windows 7 will be my last windows. If I have to learn everything again anyway when changing from 7 to 8 ..... I might as well learn Linux :p. From what I understand from businesses in the Netherlands is that they are very unhappy with the new changed stuff as they now have to retrain their employees. So they will resist changing to 8 as long as is feasible (this is the gist from articles I read).

W

Archived