Your Home Country. What Do People Say?

unit731

Parents have been here and had a great time, Sisters and their Husbands (who are both half Hong Kong) have been here three times now.

Two of my Nieces have spent "Gap Years" with some time in Thailand and used my place as a home base then off backpacking around SE Asia and still mention their time here when we chat on SKYPE / Via email. I fact one of the Nieces met some friends over here and they were a jealous as hell of her when they realised she was staying with her Uncle and could show her around, spoke some Thai etc. Ironically the two Nieces who visited are the two who I am God Father too and are now the ones with the most successful careers back in the UK, who says that travel dosn't broaden ones horizons.

My Daughters visit every year and have done since 2002.

Fortunately since I work internationally most work colleagues I have had over the years have either been here on Business or on Vacation and have all had positive things to say.

I do get the occasional negative comments but these are few and far between from people who have never been out of Europe and have preconceived ideas about Thailand / SE Asia on the whole but these are not the type of people I would chose to spend time with anyway so it dosn't bother me.

When I was working in Houston about 13 years ago I got similar comments to what Flash mentioned, "Taiwan why" which I just laughed off.

Overall the reaction to me being here is positive, in fact a few people are Jealous of the fact.

"and they're really sad because you're leaving... but did you see the jealousy, in the eyes of the ones who had to say goodbye..."

-morrissey

To my knowledge the lyrics were

You left

Your tired family grieving

And you think they're sad because you're leaving

But didn't you see the Jealousy in the eyes

Of the ones who had to stay behind?

And do you think you've made

The right decision this time?

But good call

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiWwF6jBP-A

I used to be a member of Salford Lads Club as depicted on the cover of "The Queen is Dead" Album back in the days, Stiff Kittens, who went on to be known as Warsaw and then more famously Joy Division used to rehearse there as did "The Fall" Before my time but the Hollies also used to rehearse there, Graham Nash of Crosby, Stills Nash and Young Fame original membership card is on display there as well as Eddie Coleman's (died in Munich 58 crash)

I still have my membership card which I still carry in my wallet to this day and am still welcome back now. It was opened in 1903 by Robert Baden-Powell three years before he started the Scout movement. Ordsall Estate Salford was a typical inner city slum in decay especially in the late 70's but Salford Lads Club kept me off the streets and also where I formed my first band.

Thanks for the memories JaiRai

Archived