Airport Extreme And Thai Isps ?

gobbledonk

Noticed this disclaimer on the Thai Apple Store site:

1. Wireless Internet access requires a wireless-enabled computer, a base station or other access point, and Internet access; fees may apply. Some ISPs are not currently compatible with AirPort Extreme.

http://store.apple.com/th/product/MD031TH/A/airport-extreme-base-station

Just wondered if there is an Airport Extreme owner on the board who could share his experiences with getting up and running in Thailand.

Thanks,

Gobble

Ok, I'm seeing it has a WAN Ethernet port but you still need a modem of some sort to convert the Ethernet data to DSL/ADSL/xDSL whatever. So it only makes the Airport device a wireless and wired switch/router with an upstream port. You need another box to connect to the internet. Unless of course some Thai isps are now delivering Ethernet to the home!

More likely it means that some of the modems that Thai ISP's usually bundle do not have Ethernet ports, only USB ports, meant for a single connection. This probably goes back to when the Thai isps seemed to want to limit the number of devices you could connect at once and charge extra for each connection, essentially as they had done in dial up days. Technology rather overtook them on that but still many supply USB only modems.

When I first went on ADSL I was given a single USB port modem. Went and bought a 4 port wireless access point with ADSL modem built in but nobody from tech support back then would tell me what settings I needed, I'd only paid for a single port modem.

I use Time Capsule which is basically AirPort Extreme with 2TB built in back up, no problems with True or TOT.

But how do you connect the damned things?: I see no phone socket, at least on the Airport box.

Is TRUE or ToT feeding you by some other means than a phone line? Do you need a-n-other box?

Curious minds n all that.

But how do you connect the damned things?: I see no phone socket, at least on the Airport box.

Is TRUE or ToT feeding you by some other means than a phone line? Do you need a-n-other box?

Curious minds n all that.

If your getting it from a proper phone jack then you are getting 56k service or likely less. Which is dial up. What you should have is an either net connection. Which airports do have.

Right, so without an inbuilt modem there is no way to connect an Airport to an ISP (excluding the hotel scenario, which is interesting but different, the hotel is not what I'd call an ISP). Sort of comes back to GD's original question as to how the Airport might be unusable with some ISP's. Without an inbuilt modem the Airport cannot connect to an ISP.

That second device that baa99 pointed too has it all in one box, works with Mac's too.

Archived