People Complaining About "vietnam War-Themed Beer" From New Zealand

Personally, I don't like citrus notes in my beer. But as to the name/marketing/presentation, how do the vets in the house feel, I'm curious?

Anger over Vietnam War beer

A craft beer branded with Vietnam War references has been labelled "cheap" and "disrespectful" by the president of New Zealand’s Returned Soldiers’ Association (RSA).

493928.jpg

“Death From Above†is made from American hops, Vietnamese mint, chilli and lime, and south-east Asian mangoes. It was created by The Garage Project brewery for an Australian beer festival, but has offended Vietnam War veterans in New Zealand.

The beer, produced by a boutique brewery in Wellington, New Zealand, is called “Death From Aboveâ€, in reference to the napalm-dropping helicopter from classic Vietnam War filmApocalypse Now.

The beer is made from American hops, Vietnamese mint, chilli and lime, and south-east Asian mangoes. It was created specially by The Garage Project brewery for an Australian beer festival and its marketing poster features military helicopters over a Vietnamese-like landscape.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/346481/anger-over-craft-beer-branded-with-vietnam-war-references

There are VN War movies, TV shows, video games, novels ... why not beer? I've got more important things to worry about. Everyone is trying to make money off of the war. But the name does sound stupid, and the stuff that is in it sounds revolting. :p

Come to think of it, I never heard of a helicopter dropping napalm. Napalm was dropped by the Air Force (and sometimes damn near on us, the idiots). I hated the stuff ... should be outlawed. But Apocalypse Now wasn't really about the VN War. It was more like a script written by Timothy Leary when he was flying high. (It was based on a Joseph Conrad story about Africa!)

Napalm :

<< More recent uses include: by France during the First Indochina War (1946–1954), the Algerian War (1954–1962), the Portuguese Colonial War (1961–1974), The Six-Day War by Israel (1967), in Nigeria (1969), India and Pakistan (1965 and 1971), Turkey during the invasion of Cyprus (1974), by Morocco during the Western Sahara War (1975–1991), Iran (1980–88), Brazil (1972), Egypt (1973), Iraq (1980–88, 1991), Angola (1993), Yugoslavia (1991-1996), and by Argentina (1982). >>

Wikipedia

Dunno - when a fertilizer factory can take out a very large chunk of a small town, I don't want to think what some America's aging reactors could do. Napalm needs a delivery mechanism - those reactors are just quietly rusting away all over the lower 48. Fukushima put the issue back in the spotlight, but things seem to have gone very quiet in the intervening years.

Hi,

Ratchada, please change your profile picture.

Sanuk!

You have problems with a photo of the interior of a Spanish Cathedral? (Catedral de Pladur) Because that's what it is. Jesus, get a life.

Archived