My Thai Bride (2011) - Documentary

Boo Radley

It happens often enough. It was in the news a few years ago about a Brit put everything he had in his ex-BG wife's name - condo, car and joint ownership of his bank account. Everything was fine, until he had to pay a visit to England. When he left, he had 6 million baht in the bank. He came back several weeks later to find his car sold, his condo sold and his bank account nearly cleaned out. (She considerately left him 20,000 baht.) He went to the police, but they told him they could do nothing. Since it was all in the wife's name, she had done nothing illegal. Naturally, she had vanished.

Police may be the wrong person to see -- a lawyer would make more sense in such a case.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this guy put all his savings into the pig farm...must not have been much of a savings account!

Sounds like he spent 1M at the most 2M Baht...like no more then 50,000 Euro...a life's savings???? and he was going

to retire on this???

The wife did him a favor and gave him a much needed wake up call...IMO

I could be sympathetic to the red shirts ... if they really cared about "true democracy". They don't. They just expect Thaksin to return and shower them with all sorts of goodies. The red shirts are Thailand's version of the Cargo Cult.

Just waiting on the ghost of Tom Joad.

It happens often enough. It was in the news a few years ago about a Brit put everything he had in his ex-BG wife's name - condo, car and joint ownership of his bank account. Everything was fine, until he paid a visit to England. When he left, he had 6 million baht in the bank. He came back several weeks later to find his car sold, his condo sold and his bank account nearly cleaned out. (She considerately left him 20,000 baht.) He went to the police, but they told him they could do nothing. Since it was all in the wife's name, she had done nothing illegal. Naturally, she had vanished.

You hear about it in the bars of Bangkok and Pattaya but go spend some time in the villages and the stories flood out. When I spent some time up north it was almost endemic. Eventually, perhaps after years of waiting, like some cold war sleeper agent, the westerner finally lets his guard down and she is in there, on the rob, fleecing the poor sucker for all he has.

Now admittedly the guys could be far better insulated but it is a hell of a life to think that for the remainder of your life, perhaps for 20 or more years, you cannot trust the woman you live with because she or her accomplices will rob you to within a baht of your life.

Most stories never get heard, the guys just slink away or top themselves.

I could be sympathetic to the red shirts ... if they really cared about "true democracy". They don't. They just expect Thaksin to return and shower them with all sorts of goodies. The red shirts are Thailand's version of the Cargo Cult.

But as ever, it allows the Thais to shirk any personal responsibility and lay the blame at someone else's door. They give up true democracy for a few beer tokens and some extra cash come election time.

I have issues with the Mai Bpen Rai attitude that permeates everything, my usual retort to Mai Bpen Rai = oh, bpen rai baby. Bpen rai....

And I will always be a product of the West. e.g., you don't have to conform to nature, but can struggle against it to make changes. That said - I certainly don't believe the Thais are dumb, au contraire. I've seen them play many scenarios rather brilliantly. And the longer i'm here the more sympathetic I become to the redshirts, irrespective of Thaksin's hypocrisy. It's bigger than that.

It's a crazy mixed up world Flash. That is my only conclusion at this point.

When I hear that cursed mai pen rai I just want to strangle the preacher. Fuck mai pen rai, it does matter you stupid cunt.

Archived