Just How Restrictive Is It To Work In Thailand?

up2you2

<<but Non Imm O - Retirement ....to Non Imm B - Business........is a whole different kettle of fish>>

Correct, though not of retiring age, I was offered a retirement visa by an Immigration office, I turned it down as I knew I would be working again and need the right visa.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And what happens if you 'lose' your marriage. Not saying as if, just curious how that would work?

The visa will not be renewed when it runs out, unless you find another wife. I knew a Yank whose wife keeled over from a heart attack in her mid 40s. They been married something like 20 years. He was in his 50s, so he switched to a retirement visa as he didn't plan to work. (He did remarry in a couple of years.)

And what happens if you 'lose' your marriage. Not saying as if, just curious how that would work?

You are OK until your 12 months is up and then try to re-apply for an additional 12 Month extension to stay which won't be issued if Thai wife is not with you at immigration. Now of course in situation like I went through the then wife was not going to make it easy for me to stay in Thailand to fight divorce so I was on my own.

I flew down to Singapore for a 60 day tourist visa, which at first they would not issue since I did not have an onward flight booked so I also had to get a ticket to Siem Reap. That gave me 60+30 day extension time to set up a Thai Company and then another trip out of Thailand to get a Non-Imm B.

If you are married without kids in Thailand and under the age of 50 and she wants a divorce, the odds really are stacked against you.

..If you are married without kids in Thailand and under the age of 50 and she wants a divorce, the odds really are stacked against you.

The idea of a local representative office or similar seems a potential solution to that problem. Starting a UK company takes all of 5 minutes and most people have a few if they are engaged in business or contracting.

The idea of a local representative office or similar seems a potential solution to that problem. Starting a UK company takes all of 5 minutes and most people have a few if they are engaged in business or contracting.

Torrenova

I did look at taking that approach but one of the requirements for such is "

Last three year’s annual financial report of the head office " so its not as simple as just setting up a UK LTD Company then opening a Thai registered office

http://www.hhlegaladvisors.com/blog/how-to-establish-a-representative-office-in-thailand/

Archived