Just How Restrictive Is It To Work In Thailand?

up2you2

Hi,

"I see the policy and the lack of information as an almost deliberate attempt to render it impossible to know the facts. In this way authorities can be almost sure to have an avenue to pursue you should the need arise, related or otherwise."

Yep, this way they are always right and you usually don't have a leg to stand on. Can't imagine there being any legal recourse either if you get denied a visa / work permit because some wanker used his own interpretation of the law.

Sanuk!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Non-Imm O Wife or Child support I can get the work permit with out leaving the country, done it twice now, never had to hand over tea money either.

...sure don't doubt that for 1 minute...but Non Imm O - Retirement ....to Non Imm B - Business........is a whole different kettle of fish

"My friend is OK for another year now....and the irony...... about half a dozen Officers from the local Immi Office...are customers at his shop....as well as quite a few Tourist Police....and others

A senior guy at Immi suggested he bring leaflets to the Office and they would pass them around.....LOL

At the end of the day..."my friend" did not really suffer...it would have cost him somewhere around 20 - 30k to leave the Country and get things sorted...(plus the loss of 3 odd days)

He says it sorta balances out....give or take a few grey ones....

TIT

Non-Imm O Wife or Child support I can get the work permit with out leaving the country, done it twice now, never had to hand over tea money either.

Thanks, that's useful info. I'm in the process of converting my Non-Imm B to Non-Imm O on the basis of family support. Would be interested to hear if there are any points to be aware of? The company I've been seconded to for many years will handle all the running around for me so I will only need to show up as and when.

I concur with my good friend's hummlaar's observation, not only is a WP available on a Non-Imm O Spouse or Family support visa, I may also add that there is also no need to set up a 51% owned Thai company and have 4 Thai employee's with accountants fees Social Security payments etc etc.

The advantage of the marriage visa is that if you lose your job, you don't lose your visa - as you do when the visa and job are tied together. Happened to me once, when a government language institute dropped its contracts because they got Australian volunteers for free. I simply began looking for another job, with no need to fly off to Penang for a new visa.

Archived