Bourdain, Pt Ii

gobbledonk

We had a thread a while back on Anthony Bourdain's trip thru Laos, and he seems to polarise many here - not surprising when I read his bio. For all his face-pulling, casual profanity (big woop - Gordon Ramsay, anyone ?) and - to my way of thinking - 'interesting' table manners, Bourdain may have some redeeming features after all:

Bourdain's taste in music is also a matter of public record. His book, The Nasty Bits, is dedicated to "Joey, Johnny, and Dee Dee" of the Ramones. Bourdain has declared fond appreciation for their music, as well that of other early punk bands such as The Stooges, Dead Boys, Television, The New York Dolls, and The Voidoids. Additionally, Bourdain writes in Kitchen Confidential that the playing of music by Billy Joel in his kitchen was grounds for immediate firing (amusingly, Joel is a fan of his and has subsequently visited the restaurant).[38] In the 2006 No Reservations episode in Sweden, Bourdain proclaimed that his all-time favorite album (his "desert island disc") is the groundbreaking punk record Fun House by The Stooges; he also made it clear that he despises the Swedish pop group ABBA

Were he a she, about 20 years younger and able to cook even half of the goodies he samples in 'No Reservations', that taste in music - particularly his feelings toward ABBA - I could very well live happily with such a woman. Of course, in Thailand being born a man is no barrier to becoming a 'woman', but I'm confident that I'll never encounter a Thai who knows who the Stooges were, nor Chef Bourdain for that matter ;)

(FWIW, Catalonia would seem to be the center of Anthony's culinary universe, but I seem to recall him saying something very similar about New York. And Boston, And New Orleans ..... )

but I'm confident that I'll never encounter a Thai who knows who the Stooges were,

You need to get to some of the Thai Rock Pubs Gobbie, I have heard many a cover version of "Raw Power" "I wanna be your Dog" "1969" etc, in fact the guitarist in one of the local bands states that Ron Asheton is his biggest influence.

And what do you mean "Who They Were" they released a new album "Ready to Die" 3 months ago and are still going strong.

I think Mr Boudain is a good chef, maybe even an excellent chef. But his tv shows turn me off, he's just another good looking ex-junky who got picked up by the media to wander around blathering, in front of a camera. The last show I saw of his, he was re-using his one liners from his early shows.

Before anyone asks me why I watch some of his shows whilst professing a dislike for same, I'll just say that every now and then I'll watch one to see if he's getting any better. Not better, same old pap but less of it.

Archived