2-3 Hours From Bangkok

bust

Restaurant and bar within resort. 10 mins away there is a mini mart and a string of beachfront seafood restaurants. Helps to have transport (i had a car) but I vaguely remember there was a taxi service available and maybe even bicycle hire.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For Hua Hin, someone posted a pool within a hotel, that is what you need, the pool with clean water.

If not staying overnight, then new (opened last year) Black Mountain Water Park.

It's a bit expensive for the locals and does not have too many visitiors. Food in their food court is like 150B, also not affordable to local families. Own food not allowed (like Thai family picnic eating, not allowed).

You need a car, it's outside the place, 12km I think. Motorbike not good, many stray dogs along the way, may jump on you

If waterpark is acceptable, why go anywhere out of Bangkok. Kids will have a ball at Siam City Waterpark and amusement ground. They still say it's the largest one in Asia. Been there 50-60 times.

Taxis abound but better with car. Food was not expensive but was not good either. You can bring your own.

(their site is dreadfully slow from Japan)

Or, even more convenient, Bang Na Central shopping mall has a waterpark at rooftop. Not as big as ground one could be but still fine, easily spend a day.

Any of those 3 places will give more joy than plain beach of Hua Hin which is usualy muddy and murky water, jelly fish, packs of stray dogs, good for nothing. Farmers coming in the trays of pickup trucks use it for their day trips, nobody else.

For a fine beach, only islands, Koh Samet the nearest.

Edit: just realized that OP did not mention kids. Anyway, ppl with kids may find my post useful.

I spent my first month in Thailand at Prachuab, loved the town. Prachuab is claimed to have the best beach in the province, clear water (no mud as further north), and shallow for a long way out. But I never liked seeing the occasional sea snake (venomous) in the water, and a swimming pool does sound a bit nicer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hua Hin Dusit Thani, last year. Not because it's one of the best hotel chains in the world but best resort hotel I have seen so far.

Thai owned but neck to neck with other finest world class venues.

hhdusit01.jpg

hhdusit02.jpg

Own laguna (from my balcony)

hhdusit05.jpg

Those with kids, no need to leave hotel at all. Quiet, no hawkers, no dogs, crystal clean.

Food in several different restaurants within is not cheap but is priced same as in the riff-raffs deck chair & umbrella "restaurants" on the beach in front of the Hilton.

Free high 7Mbps wifi internet throughout (both cable and wireless in the rooms).

Breakfast is as one can imagine, a feast. I think it's 600B only breakfast.

Another new place is "floating market" (a canal setting shopping mall that looks like 1920).

hhfloating07.jpg

hhfloating01.jpg

hhfloating02.jpg

Thais usually seen at Siam Paragon:

hhfloating03.jpg

hhfloating06.jpg

Not to miss student uniforms:

hhfloating04.jpg

Archived