2-3 Hours From Bangkok

bust

Centara Grand, accross the road, almost in the shaddow of The Hilton.

Built in 193. as Railway Hotel. Last time I saw it it was Sofitel, now it has changed again.

hhphnompen02.jpg

It has tried a movie career: it was this hotel that palyed the role of the Phnom Penh hotel in "The Killing Fields" and that's where the beginning of the movie was shot.

hhphnompen01.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazingly clean for Thailand. The soi on live on looks like that, but it certainly doesn't near the market. The 7-Eleven also has trash thrown around outside, even though there is a rubbish bin right next to the door.

BTW the line was - "Let's go, Marines." I think they shot around 5 hours of film, then trimmed it down to two. I'm on screen for a couple of seconds. I knew people who were cut out completely.

• 2 weeks later...

Back from Hua Hin Sheraton. Spectacular place.

2013t360sheraton01.jpg

30% of the rooms are right on the water:

2013t360sheraton02.jpg

Dusit Thani, bare 1km away (towards Hua Hin) my last years love is not any worse.

True it does not have "jump into water straight from your room":

2013t360dusit01.jpg

I actually walked to see it again, pictures are from yesterday:

2013t360dusit02.jpg

2013t360dusit03.jpg

By price, they are comparable, Sheraton may be a bit more expensive but not enough to rule it out.

Sheraton pros:

New, 6 years only facility, architectured in accord with contemporary demand.

Everything operates 24 hours, any room service is around the clock.

Sheraton cons:

Staff behave like in a choreography (artificial courtesy)

No lift (although it is max 1 floor to climb)

Ultra, even vulgarly, modern.

Promotes alienation.

Vehicles bomb searched (a mirror on a club, going around the car an looking if something is attached) in light of US Embassies closures in Islamic countries.

Dusit Thani pros:

Staff cordiality.

Feeling like at home in every corner of the facility.

Fosters friendships. Not that I need friends but at Dusit my daughter (joyful and friendly) had some child to play with every minute of our stay, that is an important part of her holiday and memories. At Sheraton not a single word exchanged with anyone. Perhaps, the architecture of the laguna simply makes people drift on their own.

Dusit cons:

Although in immaculate condition, it is a 30 years old architecture.

While inside the room, looking from the balcony inwards, you would not know you are not in Sheraton.

The verdict: next year I will take my business to Dusit Thani again. To continue awarding Thais for operating the chain at world class level while remaining what they are. At Sheraton, they are also same Thais, many could even be ex Dusit staff, but now trained to wear smiles in a cramp.

And, why would I have to think of planted bombs in my hotel? At Dusit it will never happen.

Some 45km before Hua Hin is new Santorini Park.

2013santorini03.jpg

Went there Friday, it says opening is 17. august. I guess that means the water park part of it will be open. Then, it's a full day place.

Shopping village is open (bizzare that you have to pay 50B to get into a shopping mall). Quite nice in there:

2013santorini01.jpg

So nice that pics are taken:

2013santorini02.jpg

2013santorini05.jpg

It does give the feeling of the Greek island (been to Santorini before)

2013santorini06.jpg

2013santorini09.jpg

Ferris wheel ride is whopping 120 B per person. There other rides too, 1,000B for cover all ticket.

Water park next to it (I guess with water park ticket entry to the shopping mall will be included) looks as big as maybe 80% of the Black Mountain park in Hua Hin.

Archived