Local Police And The Sukhumvit Tourist Cash Cow - Business Is Booming

JaiRai

I'm completely in favor of any initiative which targets smokers throwing their butts on the ground - not sure exactly where they get they idea that it's fine and dandy to do that in the first place, I've seen those guys hanging around Benjasiri Park when I go for my morning constitutional, but they are so awestruck by my display of physical prowess that they lose all interesting in wanting to fine me. Autographs ? Sorry, fellas - you'll need to talk to my agent.

I think the greatest displeasure seems to come from the fact that those with the power to carry out this cash extraction do so based on profiling rather than an all encompassing equality. TIT I guess but can see why it creates bad feeling amongst groups so used to an expectation of laws being applied equally.

FWIW I think the 'No entry' scam where Ploenchit runs into Sukhumvit catches more Thais than it ever will foreigners.

Exactly! But just goes to show that the targets are not just the foreigners and that they'll screw with their own kind.

Back in 2008, our cab driver was caught doing an illegal right-hand turn. Instead of just sitting there meekly while the cop wrote up the ticket, he gave it to him with both barrels - the cop just kept writing out the ticket. So much for 'never lose your cool in a public place' - it was the kind of display you'd expect from feral white trash here in Oz, but I could see why he was pissed off - his was one of about 10 cars that made the turn and the cop picked him over the others.

Back in 2008, our cab driver was caught doing an illegal right-hand turn. Instead of just sitting there meekly while the cop wrote up the ticket, he gave it to him with both barrels - the cop just kept writing out the ticket. So much for 'never lose your cool in a public place' - it was the kind of display you'd expect from feral white trash here in Oz, but I could see why he was pissed off - his was one of about 10 cars that made the turn and the cop picked him over the others.

I think your cab driver was pissed at being written up for a ticket, this entails a full whack fine as opposed to a 100 Baht slap on the wrist and have a nice day. I have been guilty on numerous motoring misdemeanours, including the Ploenchit / Sukhumvit one RM wrote about but never once written up with a ticket. Sorry officer, my mistake it wont happen again seems to work for me (I am a keyboard warrior not a a social psychopath) .

The Ploenchit / Sukhumvit is just one on many in downtown Bangkok alone, and thats just the ones where I have been busted at but a smile and a wave usually helps. Also the "Drivers Wallet" comes into play, I know it sounds stupid but having a wallet in the cat with Driving Licence a 100 Baht note and 2-3 20 Baht notes in it keeps the fine down, no point in pulling out a wallet with Credit Cards, ATM Cards and 15 Grand in it, you are just asking to be a victim of extrosion unless your grandfather happens to own Red Bull.

LOS does mean Land of Scams and the only expats never to have been hit on at least a couple of occasions must live in a monastery, it's a game and i enjoy playing it.

Archived