Homeless Foreigners On The Rise

waerth

I know, but is still possible to eat well if you cook yourself and are able to buy in bulk.

I recreated my grandmothers tomato soup, taste wise almost the same as I remembered. Not same ingredients probably. And I get 2 big bowls for about 100 baht in costs, which equals to about 1,5 meal.

Basically take a can of Tomato soup (Campbells) cost is 50 baht.

125 gram of ground beef cost is 25 baht approx

Lots of vermicelli cost is 10 baht approx (big pack is 57 baht but you can get about 10 pots of soup out of it and that is when you put in really a lot)

Ground black pepper or ground chillies, ground or fresh Garlic, carrot finely diced.

Mix it all together (can do in a rice cooker!!)

If you make it correctly the soup will be very thick because of all the meat and vermicelli in it, can almost put a spoon upright in it.

For a creamier taste add milk instead of water.

Total cost is under 100 baht without milk. About 100 baht or slightly over with milk.

Add more fresh vegetables according to taste.

Can also use more expensive soup, like Baxters which is about 78 baht or other brands over 100 baht for a can.

But bottomline is this will give you 2 big bowls. Can eat with bread to dip in the soup. This is more than a complete meal when eaten alone.

Recently I saw potatoes for 29 baht for a kilo in Maxvalue Tanyai. I bought 10 kilos. Boil them, make some meatballs or sausages or any kind of meat really, cook some vegetables et voila for 100 baht minimum you have another good filling meal.

Eat cornflakes or fruits for breakfast or lunch and you can eat reasonably well for 250 baht a day.

The only bitch is washing the dishes :(

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Things that piss me off, I know they shouldn't but certain things wind me up

1. Thais who stop at the top of an escalator and then have a discussion to decide whether to use it, Make your mind up before getting there or get the fark out of my way, how I have never been done for manslaughter by giving a Thai a nudge when they stood at the head of an escalator is beyond me.

2. Thais who insists on using a credit card to pay a 179 Baht bill at Family Mart, especially when it is 13:59 and at 14:00 beer sales are stopped until 17;00 HURRY UP WOMAN, and its always women. A guy may search his pockets for notes and change but eventually the bill is settled, a woman will go through her fake gucci handbag and try 3 freaking credit cards before she can pay 179 Baht.

3. Thai women again who stop in the middle of the walkway of a mall to answer phone, send an SMS or update their Facebook profile, could you not just step to one side and stop holding up all pedestrian traffic you stupid cow, now when they do this whilst stood at the head of an escalator or trying to pay a 179 Baht bill at Family Mart with a Credit Card then my blood does reach boiling point.

The thing is is that I am used to it by now and find it acceptable behaviour, you really do need to be a little crazy to live in this country but I wouldn't change it it for the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fc67yQsPqQ

Whilst never having the pleasure of meeting S Tsow I have read many of his writings, and to my mind he has Thailand and Asia as a whole summed up to a T. His writing style is sardonic but to anyone who has spent more than a few years here so true, his writings reflect my own feelings and I like his writing style, his sarcasm matches my own.

Things that piss me off, I know they shouldn't but certain things wind me up

1. Thais who stop at the top of an escalator and then have a discussion to decide whether to use it, Make your mind up before getting there or get the fark out of my way, how I have never been done for manslaughter by giving a Thai a nudge when they stood at the head of an escalator is beyond me.

I call it, "bowling for Thais", as I knock them out of the way... :dunno:

Archived