Homeless Foreigners On The Rise

waerth

..btw dronfield is in Derbyshire :neener:

I bow down to your superior geographical knowledge of the UK than mine.

The reason I assumed Dronfield was South Yorkshire was due to the fact that Sheffield is the closest major city which even I know as South Yorkshire, but then again my sister has her retirement home in Matlock which is equidistant and is deffo Dertbyshire. Give me a break mate I left the UK over 25 years ago so slight geographical errors you have to accept. FFS I was born in Lancashire and now it is Greater Manchester, to me Salford always has been and always will be Lancashire, I don't care what these idiots in power do about boundary changes, I was born in Lancashire and no prick in Government can now tell me I am a Mancunian, Salford and proud of it.

As for great roads, upstate New York has a great highway, it follows the lakes on the US side of the border, I only did Rochester / Buffalo / Niagara but some of the most scenic views I have seen in my life.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst not from Dronfield I probably am homeless in the UK now, somehow, i don't know how, I forgot to report income to HMRC and also failed to pay VAT to customs and excise, if the likes of Google and Amazon can get away without paying UK tax why should little old me not follow the same rules.

I have no intention of ever returning for work so let them "Catch Me if they Can" life is a game and I like playing it. ironically I do abide to the tax laws in Thailand but this is home so never piss in ones rice bowl.

Are homeless expats living on Easy Street?

The authorities are concerned by the rising number of Westerners living rough in Thailand. Spectrum discovered that while some are mentally ill, others have made a conscious choice to thwart immigration regulations after failed relationships.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/investigation/366265/growing-numbers-of-westerners-homeless-by-choice

I had two mates that went homeless. Sadly, it was totally their fault really. One got married into a wealthy family, screwed around and got burned bad. What was funny, was I think she did love him. She let him stay in the house she owned a full year before selling it. Even gave him spending money. But after she finally had enough, he was living on other peoples charity till we got his ungrateful ass on a plane for home.

The other just out spent himself and also refused to leave. But eventually he did, got back on his feet via hard work, and now makes frequent trips back to BKK and is all the wiser.

Up and coming I have a third mate that is a cunt hair from being homeless. Sad too, in the 70's and 80's he was deff high-so, an important man in LOS.

I think that we all set our own limits of "When is it Time to move On" or should I say the sensible ones amongst us have our preconceived thresholds

I don't like the Middle East, hate working there but if situations require my need to go and earn then I do it.

My current "Drop Dead" Figure is 15 Million Baht, once my savings / investments approach that figure then bags are packed and I am off earning again.

15 Million may sound pretentious but it's peanuts, would last me 8 years of decent living of index linked expenditure, which at my age would make me destitute by the time I reached 58, I am not prepared for that and want a few more years.

A Few years ago an old Board Member asked the question "How Much is Enough to retire on?" we both agreed that USD 2 Million was the minimum and got laughed down and were called egotistical twats, but in all honesty it is a real figure even at the age of 60.

I don't like doing offshore trials on FSPO's in Dubai, I also don't like the thought of having to work in Baku, Azerbagin next, but it has to be done to build up the retirement fund, who ever said that life was always nice and easy, it puts the rice on the table for today tomorrow and years to come, but until that day my rice bowl is full until I pass away I will continue taking work anywhere in the world, I worked the milk floats and had paper rounds when I was a kid, I am not shy of hard work or should I say working in bad conditions,

I agree. Living in BKK with a resemblance of western comfort on interest would absolutely be $2m.

(For comparison, a 30 year pension in the US should get you about $75 a year. This is based on a buddy of mines expected take from the Police Dept where he works. (4 years to go!) If you lived 30 more years, that would be just over $2.2m)

Mr C

As I said, it was a mutual friend of ours whom I agreed this figure with, accused by many BM's (You know who you are) of being pretentious assholes where as we considered ourselves as realists.

As my twighlight years are catching up on me faster then I wish, one does need to consider the future, for me a flight to HK then the hydrofoil over to macau is better than an overnight bus to Surin, a nice Steak with all the trimmings is preferable than a plate os Som Tom, no I am not being a snob which I have often been accused off but I have worked hard all my life and feel that a comfortable retirement is something that I have earned.

99% of the time the wife goes to the local market to get ingredients for food, many days I will walk up the soi to many of the numerous places for local Thai food as breakfast, yes I love the lifestyle but conversely I would like to be able to jump on a plane and have time away without worrying about money.

Most of the time i comfortable in my 30 year old concert t-shirt, 59 Baht shorts and 29 Baht flip flops , the gold and Rolex stays at home in the safe, much like the 308GTB stays in the garage and I will get around via tuk tuk , i don't like showing off.

Archived