Online Gaming

Redbaron

I know KS is into Online gaming, and likely a few others. Since I've navigated this new computer and worked out how to use the thing, a few of the lads at work talked me into playing World of Tanks. Loving it. I work in a job which at times is stressful, and frustrating at times, so rather than belt the missus, turn to drink or drugs or go out looking for a fight - I've been blowing up tanks. Seems to work.

Went out and bought a headset today ($10/300 baht), and I admit it isn't top of the range but I'm astounded by the sound quality compared to the built in speakers on the monitor. It's good for listening to tunes as well, since we both work a few night shifts, it pays to be considerate and pop the headphones on - must remember to take them off if I am on call.. The top of the range headphones was going for around $400/12,000 baht - with plenty in the middle...

Gaming mouse? Current mouse is the cheap/free one you get when you buy a PC... what are the advantages of spending $100/3000 baht+ on a flash one (though they do look groovy).

What are you lads into?

Hi,

I actually don't do much online gaming, too many annoying kids playing. I prefer single player games, although I do enjoy playing some co-op with friends every now and then. Bought a bluetooth headset specifically for that. Headset with wire was not convenient as I play using a PS3 & TV and thus sit too far away.

Never used a gaming mouse, so can't really tell you what the advantages are. It is my understanding that they are much more responsive though, and the higher-end models have additional buttons which can be configured as shortcuts to key presses.

Sanuk!

Check out this,

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2415385,00.asp

The best gaming mice offer comfort and customization. Features match the unique needs of your preferred games, whether you're dealing with a firefight or staving of an advancing horde. Mice for first-person shooters feature ratcheting scroll-wheels—letting you cycle through your arsenal without selecting the wrong weapon—and on-the-fly DPI adjustment, letting you switch between the fast low-DPI tracking needed in a frantic firefight and the more tightly controlled high-DPI needed for lining up a sniper's shot.

Mice designed with real-time strategy games and MMOs in mind are often outfitted with an array of programmable macro buttons. Set just under the tip of the thumb, these mice offer 6 to 12 buttons that can either be used as number keys or programmed to execute longer macro commands.

Thanks guys - those mice look pretty cool, and regarding headsets, even though my $10 one beats the shit out of my in monitor speakers, can see how cordless would be more handy.. may wait until I'm a bit more advanced in all this before looking to upgrade.

I did see a giant mouse pad with Darth Vader on it - will grab it if I can clear some room on the desk!

One thing to be aware of before investing a lot of money - your typical gaming console (ps3 and xbox360) has a functional life of several years. A gaming PC you'll be lucky to get two before your graphics and hardware can't support the next gen. If you only dabble and play a couple games it's perfect (as the PC ports of most games run at a lower cost), but - if you game a lot - may want to consider a console.

Upgrading a graphics card can cost a lot, or a little, all depends. I paid about US70 for a card that would run pretty much anything adequately (YMMV) when I bought it about 12 months ago.

The long life of consoles mean that games development can start to lag, as now. Forget the exact specs but I think most consoles are single core CPU with minimal 3D graphics compared to a PC these days.

Thanks guys, this PC I built in June this year and seems to have more than enough grunt to keep me going for a while - time will tell. Have the PS3 sitting in the lounge room, and generally it's used as a dvd/bluray player & media centre. Can't see myself tempted into buying the PS4 anytime soon, but never say never.

Hi,

"The long life of consoles mean that games development can start to lag, as now. Forget the exact specs but I think most consoles are single core CPU with minimal 3D graphics compared to a PC these days."

Yes and no. While a high-end PC is almost always better when it comes to graphics, you would have to pay quite a bit for it. Haven't checked in a while, but I could easily see graphics cards costing $400 and up to get kind of graphics people brag about. And you'd be buying one of those cards every 2 years or so.

Console games tend to get better technically/graphically once the system matures and programmers get familiar with it and even start pushing limits. For example, compare GTA IV and GTA V. The first was released early in the PS3's life cycle, the latter towards the end of it.

What I like about consoles is that I can just pop in a game and it will work.

Sanuk!

Archived