Hotel and Condo Ghost Stories

iono

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The late T. C. Lethbridge, a brilliant UK writer and former archaeologist, was of the opinion that most so-called ghost sightings are simply a mental "video-tape" of a past event. Brain waves are electrical and can leave a residue on certain materials, especially when there is moisture present. Some people's minds are on the same frequency, more or less, and they thus can tune in see "ghosts". Others are not able to receive the impulses and thus deny such things are exist. Note that a typical ghost sighting involves seeing someone or something doing a certain action. The ghost is oblivious to the observer and goes about doing whatever it is doing. It is rather like watching a hologram. Lethbridge also placed certain feelings or sounds in the same category. One may sense a terrible feeling of sadness, or occasionally a happy feeling. (Unfortunately, negative emotions seem to predominate.) And at other times, one might hear something without actually seeing anything. The RC Church has also accepted this "place memory" idea as an explanation for at least some ghost sightings. Look up T C Lethbridge on the internet and you'll find more of this if you are interested. His books are very readable and Colin Wilson has written good summaries of Lethbridge's ideas.

[ November 24, 2001: Message edited by: Flashermac ]

quote:

Another ghost is referred to as the "widow ghost". She supposedly searches for a husband and sometimes takes men while they are sleeping. When men die in there sleep it is sometimes attributed to this widow ghost taking them. To fool the ghost, men who have been scared by a suspicious death, may resort to disguising themselves as women

This widow ghost scared a lot of men in the rural areas and you could find that some of them did put up a “wooden dick” in front of their house, to fool this ghost. This ghost is also linked to suspicious deaths among Thais working overseas in the construction industry.

Just like Stickman I have a light that goes on and off onit's own, bad wiring. My recent live-in and I were sitting on the couch late one night and the light went out then popped back on again. The girlfreind is now convinced that my apartment has a "phii" and wants me to move. I tell her that I can't becouse the phii won't let me.

Good for a laugh at her expense. laugh.gif" border="0

I am a skeptic septic, don't belive in ghosts, never seen one, I'd like to!

Once in the hotel on Sukhumvit soi 19, used to be the Quality Inn but I believe the the name has since changed, I brought a girl there and she was spooked because a Farang from Norway had recently commited suicide there. She stayed the night and I never noticed anything out of the ordainary.

I stayed once in the New Liberty Hotel(dump) on Mcarther in AC, Philippines about 10 years ago that was supposably haunted by a BG

killed by a GI during the Clark AFB days. None of the BG's would go with me there and they probably didn't appreciate my story of seeing a 'white lady' moving down the hallway about 6 inches/15 cm's above the floor. I guess my humor was in poor taste.

Needless to say I moved out after two days.

I thought I saw the old Grace Hotel ghost story from the old Delphi board posted here a few months ago. A hell of a good read!

[ November 24, 2001: Message edited by: OlongapoJoe ]

Originally posted by Khun Sanuk:

Hi,

There is supposedly a ghost in the Grace Hotel (I say supposedly since I don't believe in ghosts). Somebody posted a nice story about it on the Delphi board last year.

Unfortunately that is now lost.

Sanuk!

[/quote

That Grace hotel ghost story was first-class. If anyone still has the original, please post it here.

Perhaps the actual author of the report could be reading this???

KS, there are several endings to Nang Nak's story. But all have her spirit more or less being put to rest. In some of them, her husband becomes a monk. In others, he remarries and lives happily ever after. Even the date of the occurance is not completely certain. Nak is supposed to have lived near the end of the fourth reign -- say the 1850s and '60s. But some would have it happen a century earlier, in the latter part of the Ayutthaya period. Also, there is speculation that some religious symbolism is involved in it. "Nak" is naga, the serpent ... and the serpent represented the Earth Goddess in pre-Buddhist SE Asian religious beliefs. Thus Nak being put to rest by the monks is seen as symbolising the victory of Buddhism over the older religions.

p.s. Nang Nak's story was told in folk performances for many years before appearing on screen. There have been more than 20 film versions of the story, plus a popular TV series a couple of years ago. Nang Nak's name is also used by mothers to make their children behave. Mothers tell them to be good -- or Nang Nak will come and get them!

p.s. Nang Nahk's shrine nowadays in inside Bangkok, though it used to be in a rural farming area. It is on the edge of Wat Mahaboot on Sukhumwit Soi 77. It is very popular with people seeking favours even today. They usually leave some gift they think a female spirit might like -- silk clothing, makeup, perfume, combs plus clothing and toys for her child. Lots of the bar girls have been there.

[ November 26, 2001: Message edited by: Flashermac ]

Archived