Two Chiang Mai Districts Declared Cold-Spell Disaster Zones

Flashermac

The government is handing out blankets and sweaters in the villagers. Can you imagine someone not even having a sweater? :p

And as I've said before, the ordinary Thai house has no glass in the windows and no insulation in the walls. It is the same temperature indoors and outdoors.

Back when I had my extended stay in Nakhon Phanom (74-75), I had my folks send me an electric blanket around this time of year. It was, perhaps, 12C at night. That's cold for sleeping.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Temperatures in North, Northeast expected to fall further

post-98-0-85469300-1387275180_thumb.jpg

With Doi Inthanon in Chiang Mai blanketed with frost and temperatures at 2 degrees Celsius Tuesday morning, the Meteorological Department issued a warning of thundershowers with gusty winds and hail as well as an 8 to 10 degree Celsius drop in temperature until Sunday in upper Thailand.

Meanwhile, the Cabinet tasked the Interior Ministry with the job of tackling problems related to the cold spell in the North and Northeast and has suggested that areas that are under 15 degrees Celsius for three consecutive days should be declared disaster zones so residents are entitled to an emergency aid fund, government spokesman Teerat Ratanasevi said.

The minimum temperature in Chiang Mai was recorded at 14 degrees Celsius yesterday with frost in some areas, while Chiang Rai and Phayao were at 19 degrees and Mae Hong Son at 11 degrees. Temperatures in the North could drop by another 3 to 5 degrees during this period, Pensiri Trisat, an expert from the northern meteorological centre, said.

Chiang Mai Public Health Office deputy chief Surasing Visaruthrat has warned young people and the elderly, especially those living in high altitude areas and those with chronic illness, to keep warm.

Buri Ram province in the Northeast also suffered a 4 degree drop in temperature to 15 degrees Celsius yesterday following two days of off season rain. The provincial authority reported that 338,000 people needed warm clothing and blankets.

The Poh Teck Tung Foundation and the Sawang Janyatam Foundation have provided villagers in Buri Ram's Lahan Sai and Ban Kruat districts with 1,000 sets of blanket and relief items. They have also delivered a 20,000 litre drinking water tank to Ban Somjit village in Lahan Sai's Khok Wan subdistrict.

Meanwhile, the first death caused by this cold spell was recorded in Udon Thani's Muang district, where Chuchat Khongwicha, a 51 year old man from Nakhon Ratchasima, was found dead in a tent early yesterday. Doctors believe he died from the cold weather and rain as he had fallen asleep in the tent after getting drunk.

http://www.nationmul...f-30222329.html

Surprised it is getting that Cold up in CM, I am on the coast about 50 KM North of CR and about 200KM from China in Northern Vietnam and I though we would get it worse here. We had a cold snap yesterday morning and this morning down to about 7 C, mercury never went about 10 yesterday and that shitty drizzly rain all day as well today from about 10AM onwards the wind had dropped the sun was out and up to 18 C mid afternoon and should be back into lower 20 C's by weekend.

Hmm Just checked, I understand why now CM is on the East of an anti cyclone and pulling the winds in from Northern China, looks like my weather will be coming from Indonesia by the weekend. http://www.tmd.go.th/programs/uploads/maps/2013-12-17_13_UpperWind600m.jpg

Two districts in Chiang Mai have been declared cold-spell disaster zones after the temperature there plunged between four to seven Celsius degrees Monday, a senior official said.

Phatthanida Sadudee, chief of the Chiang Mai Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office, said the Om Koi and Fang districts were declared cold-spell disaster zones.

Monday saw the mercury on top of the Doi Inthanon drop to 3 Celsius degrees.

Phattanida said the cold spell affected 95 villages in six tambon of Omkoi and affected two villages in Fang.

http://www.nationmul...s-30222207.html

It's basically a matter of what one is used to and how to cope with low temperatures.

On my first trip to Thailand in 1982 I was sitting at an outdoor bar in Pattaya late at night. The temperature was slightly below +20C. Iwas dressed in a T-shirt and jeans and was enjoying a beer. Suddenly a Thai bloke, dressed in a padde jacket, mitens and a woolwn cap, came up to me and asked if I was to drunk to understand that I must put on more clothes in these temperatures. +20C is a cool summer night in Sweden.

When I was young I was a scout leader. We had a saying, "There is no bad weather, only bad clothing."

ALHOLK

Hi,

The problem is that Thais are not really used to big differences in temperature. In Northern Europe people experience temperatures between -10C and 30C, a 40 degree spread, but in Thailand this is often only 20C-40C, a 20 degree spread.

I think that that might well account for them not handling temperatures outside of this range well.

Sanuk!

What do you consider to be northern Europe? -10C is a common winter temperature In Stockholm. Up north (a 20 hour train ride from here) temperatures aaround -25C are very common and tempratures well below -30C occur every winter. The coldest weather I have experiencd was -34C and that is cold I can assure you.

Shitty drizzly rain at 10 degrees celsius. Sounds like English weather .... you should be used to that ;)

W,

It is what I call "Manchester Weather" drizzle shit 16 hours per day for over 300 days a year, Chicago may be "Windy City" but my home place Salford takes the title as "Rainy City", and you wonder why escaped over 25 years ago my dirty old town

[media]

[/media

We do have a good Football team in my neck of the woods though

It's basically a matter of what one is used to and how to cope with low temperatures.

Agreed. When you are used to 35C most of the year, 18C feels damned cold ... and that's what it is in Bangkok as I type this. It is supposed to have been around 16C last night, which I can believe. I find it chilly, but the Thais are bundled up as if they were in Lapland.

p.s. -2C recorded on Doi Inthanon yesterday. :xmassmile:reindeer::elf:

Another few days of chilly weather ahead

As the weather bureau warned Thursday that upper Thailand would suffer from another three or four days of chilly weather, Doi Phu Kha National Park in Nan was covered with frost and the province's Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office said it would declare another 15 districts as disaster zones.

Park chief Chaiyant Khampor said the frost attracted as many as 300 tourists per day.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Another-few-days-of-chilly-weather-ahead-30222511.html

Archived