Sunday 22-12-2013 Tidbits

waerth

They need to learn from Daley's political machine!

Chicago's political machine is still producing the best politicians that $$$ can buy!!

No need to mention that Obama came from Chicago 5555555555555555555555555

But thanks for the corrected info. You and Waerth are doing a nice job of keeping Mr. Stupid (me) updated!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just grinds my gears that 5%? 10% of the voters are trying to over rule the other 90% and that is not democracy but a bunch of sore losers, IMO.

53% of the voters did NOT pick Pheu Thai. Does it grind your gears that the 47% who did means that Pheu Thai got to do whatever they want, even denying the opposition the right to speak against bills? And then they tried to rush through an amnesty bill to make everything that they did legal.

p.s. Daley junior screwed up big time in Florida. The Republicans actually out-Daleyed him to get GWB elected. I considered it revenge for the 1960 US presidential election. ;)

53% of the voters did NOT pick Pheu Thai. Does it grind your gears that the 47% who did means that Pheu Thai got to do whatever they want, even denying the opposition the right to speak against bills? And then they tried to rush through an amnesty bill to make everything that they did legal.

p.s. Daley junior screwed up big time in Florida. The Republicans actually out-Daleyed him to get GWB elected. I considered it revenge for the 1960 US presidential election. ;)

Flash, you are mistaken and/or maliciously misinformed and/or maliciously spreading misinformation/disinformation on that last point.

After the Supreme Court weighed in and said "ENOUGH!", the Florida newspapers went ahead and paid for the full recount, county by county, ballot box by ballot box, according to all sets of counting rules proposed. They were hoping to be able to run a huge headline saying "GORE WON! Supremes Stole Election" in National Enquirer-size type.

The result was the same, by all methods of counting the votes, even under Hogwarts Divination Class rules.

Bush won. Fair and square.

It was damned close. Interestingly enough, Bush's margin of victory was largest under the Gore team's preferred counting rules, and narrowest under the Bush team's preferred rules, but they all agreed as to the final outcome. Gore lost, fair and square.

Incidentally, the one thing everyone agrees on was this: If Gore had won his home state, Florida would not have mattered. VERY few men have been elected President of the Unites States after losing their home states.

In a college government class, I remember the professor telling us that one of the Chicago mayoral challengers called for a recount. The Daley machine demurred, and then finally agreed to recount Chicago, one precinct per week. At that rate, it would have taken something like 20 years to complete the recount. They recounted a few precincts. The challenger didn't pick up enough to show a trend that might mean a win, but Nixon picked up enough votes to swing Chicago, which would have swung Illinois, which would have swung the Electoral College vote and put Nixon in office for the Cuban Missile Crisis rather than JFK.

I am not entirely sure that having Tricky Dick would have been a better choice than John Kennedy at going eyeball-to-eyeball with Nikita Khrushchev.

Al Gore was decidedly unpopular in his own state. I don't think he even carried his own county.

p.s. I was a teenager during the 1960 election. I remember it being reported that in several Chicago polling places it was found that the Republican switch wasn't connected! Pulling the arm did nothing and Nixon got not a single vote from them.

Archived