Beer Gardens Targeted

Sarisin

Well, today's Post reads, 'Beer gardens the latest to appear in Purachai's sights.

The article goes on to say that the social order crusade has been extended to cover beer gardens which must close by 2am.

The Man said it would not be necessary to hold talks with the (beer garden) operators. He said the police chief would take care of it. The article also mentioned a problem up in Nong Khai where a load of drinking patrons under the age of 20 was identified. Police there were being transferred to 'inactive posts.' How's that for a career move?

But, here's the punchline folks, quoting Mr. Purachai from the article:

"I don't want to be that strict with adults. If the customers are 20 it's OK. The target of the social order campaign is young people."

Uh, yeah, and how many of you out there reading this are under 20? Has this social order campaign affected you? Do you feel like a target?

Send your cards and letters to Mr. Purachai c/o the Bangkok Post. Like that would matter.

quote:

Originally posted by short-time:

Thanks for the rather disturbing news, makes me wonder what Purachai's next bonehead move might be. BTW, what's with the hiccups??

As far as I'm concerned, it has happened already, with the early closing of all the poor food vendors on Sukhumvit. Now when you are turfed out of Thermae, that is basically it, nowhere to sit and eat and chat and drink and watch the world go round anymore. OK, there is still 7/11 and a few dirty steps but it is NOT the same!

What the fuck is the point of it all? What has this got to do with under-20s??

LG

quote:

Originally posted by Long Gun:

What the fuck is the point of it all? What has this got to do with under-20s??

LG

Let's face it, Thailand has been defined by or flirting with militaro-paternalistic right-wing politics for ages, maybe for the last 10 years or so, getting richer became more important but the all-too common streak was still there, lurking beneath.

[ November 22, 2001: Message edited by: pattaya127 ]

UniformGuy wrote:

quote:

So by the time I get there in 34 days time there will be nothing open at all........I'm cancelling my ticket right now!!

He he, Let's not get TOO gloomy!

Most of these posts are written by the local guys. I can understand why they're unhappy with the changes. They've had to live through the changes that have disrupted their fun.

For us visitors, though, who've spent the long months since our last trip living and working in the Sanuk Free Zone, we're still gonna think we've landed in an earthly paradise!

Look out bar girls! Five weeks 'til touchdown!

Hey I was only joking I enjoy the place too much and have been visiting for 15 years to ever cancel a trip.................

Last trip was April and now only 33 days to go.

uniformguy tongue.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0

Wonder how far it will go. Will I one day have to worry about the local cops pounding on my door after midnight to make sure I'm not drinking a beer at home? In truth, Purachai is "only enforcing the laws", as he says. But the guy's not exactly making himself Mr Popularity. (He's a former cop, who saw the light and joined the same idealistic Buddhist sect as Bangkok ex-mayor Chamlong Srimuang. sort of a born-again Buddhist.)

Archived