The "best" nearby place for VISA runs? Any recent info?

Has anyone recently tried either Hong Kong or Singapore for VISA runs? I was wondering about turn-arounds for multiple entry non-imm B, plus strictness of staff, consulate accessability/convenience, etc. Any info you have would be most appreciated! Also, if the above are not ideal for non-imm Bs, how about other nearby places.

Cheers,

froggo

Yes, Singapore. Horror stories of the Thai Embassy in Hong Kong are legion, including stories from friends of mine. One told me that they kept trying to trick him into admitting that he had been working in Thailand, so they could refuse him a visa; he said they just would not give up, but he finally wore them down. Another WAS refused a visa, because they determined that he couldn't possibly be telling the truth about not working in Thailand, even though they weren't able to trick HIM, either. Go to Singapore.

But have you considered Vientiane or Phnom Penh?

Thanks for the input. Excellent advice, as usual, on this board. As a result of your comments, I have ruled out HK. From what you say, Singapore appears to be a good choice, though Pete's comment about only one entry is worrisome (I need multiple). So, Singapore it is if I can get that final point clarified.

Since this particular non-imm, for many reasons, is a little trickier for me than most I have done, my thought was to move away from the nearby consulates (Penang, Vientienne) as they may be tougher of late. Of course, I could be wrong here.

Does anyone know if Penang, Laos, Vietnam, or even Cambodia are STILL viable and convenient for such things? Things have gotten much tougher at certain consulates in the last few months, a point which is detailed on another thread.

Thanks for all your input.

froggo

This may be dated information (Jan 2001), but I received a multi entry 1 year visa from KL, but required strict adherence to paper work requirements. At same time, a colleague in Singapore received a 2 entry 6 month visa from Singapore with much less paperwork, basically a letter of invitation.

TH

I made a visa run to Vientienne last week, to get a fresh Class "O". They do not issue any multple-entry non-immigrant visa's, nor any non-immigrants visa's longer than 90 days. But the process is very easy. Show up circa 8:15 am one day. Give passport, copies of necessary papers, and 800 baht to a Laotian guy manning a little table out in front of the Thai visa office, along with your hotel and room number. Fill out a visa form that he supplies. Then go away - I spent maybe seven minutes on site. The following afternoon, passport and visa are delivered to your hotel at 1:30 pm.

With a 90 day visa, you can still stretch it out to mutiple entry over 150 days - just get a 60-day, multiple-entry reentry permit at the airport, from a window right next to where you buy the airport tax coupon. I don't recall for sure, but I think it's 800 baht for single, 1,200 baht for multiple reentry.

Airfare to Vientienne (Lao Airways) about 5,800 baht. 500 baht outbound airport tax. US $30 visa on arrival in Laos. US $5 taxi to city. US $15 per night hotel room for two nights - air, western toilet. Maybe US $3 round-trip taxi or tuk-tuk to Thai visa office. 800 baht to "fixer". US $5 return taxi to airport next day. US $10 airport tax outbound from Laos. Beer and food in Vientienne - say maybe US $30 if you go all out. Total trip US $280, at very most. Transport charge to/from BKK airport. At most, US $28 for reentry permit.

'Sure a lot cheaper than Singapore run.

Good luck,

Stone Soup

Archived