Riddles

ZZZZ.

If Sage # 1's hat was white, Sage # 2 would see a blue hat on Sage #3

How do you deduce that even if Sage # 1 hat was white and your only assuming that. He would see a blue hat on Sage # 3

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ZZZZ

If Sage #1's hat was white, Sage #2 would see a blue hat on #3

Even if Sage # 1 hat was white and your only assuming that how do you deduce he would see a blue hat on sage # 3

The Munchmaster :

I would assume they all kept their mouths shut. I mean get it wrong and off with your head but say fuck all and go home.Simples.

No ... because he (The Sayer ) stood up and said " The colour of the hat I am wearing is...."

ZZZZ.

If Sage # 1's hat was white, Sage # 2 would see a blue hat on Sage #3

How do you deduce that even if Sage # 1 hat was white and your only assuming that. He would see a blue hat on Sage # 3

OK, I got my numbers mixed up earlier. Lets try this one:

Your riddle description says one sage [let's call him #1] sees the other two with blue hats. If Sage #1's hat was white, Sage #2 would see a blue hat on #3 and a white hat on #1. From this, Sage #2 could easily deduce that his hat was blue. Why? Because if his was white and #1's was white, #3 would see two white hats and immediately be sure his own was blue. (the riddle states that at least one is blue) Because Sage #3 did not stand up to announce that he had a blue hat, Sage #2 knew that his own hat must be blue. Sage #2 is the winner with the blue hat.

Bust :

You took this sentence out of context ( From the look in their eyes he could see their thoughts were the same as his,)

and that was " what is the colour of my hat"

Nothing to do with the answer

Has everything to do with the answer....... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

He saw the other two were wearing blue. And then it goes on to say their thoughts were the same as his. So if the other two were thinking the other two are weraring blue so what colour is mine, the obvious conclusion is he was also wearing blue.

Bust

Not as easy as that, if the Hypothetical "Felt Like Hours" was in fact only 59 Minutes, the other two sages could have both seen a Blue hat and a White hat and equally look as confused.

This is Classic Epistemic Modal Logic, there is no answer, many philosophers have spoken about the properties of knowledge, the sage who saw the two blue hats does not know if he is blue or white, it is impossible to determine.

Now if if the opposite had have been true and the sage had have seen two white hats he would have known straight away that (s)he was wearing the blue hat since there are not three white hats whereas the other two sages would still have no Logical solution to the riddle.

This has been used since Aristotle's day, how a decision making process could be demonstrated to be transparent but is in fact rigged.

Bangkok Missy ,

I fly out of Noi Bai (Hanoi) back to BKK on wednesday for a couple of weeks, where do I pick up my prize?

See reply to BKK Missy. Not that difficult if you read it properly. Some of the best riddles have the simplest answers.

At first glance this riddle appears to be impossible to solve. Contributing to this is feeling that the Kings only real clue - that there is at least one blue hat - is useless since the sage can clearly see that there are at least two blue hats.

OK so everybody agrees the sage can see two blue hats ........ but everyones logical answer falls to pieces after that.

Read carefully........There had to be 3 blue hats. Here is why......

3 white hats were not possible by rule. If there were 2 white hats, the wise man wearing the blue hat would have known immediately, but "no one spoke for what seemed like hours", so there could not have been 2 white hats.

That means that there must either be only 1 white hat or no white hats.

If one of the wise men had seen a white hat on the other wise men's head, he would know that his hat was blue since there could only be a max of 1 white hat. Again, the delay says that each man was working through this process of elimination, wondering if they were the one wearing the one white hat.

In the end, the winner is the first wise man to work through this process of elimination, but be sure that the others were not dumb enough to be staring at a white hat and not know that his must be blue.

All of the hats had to be blue.

Read carefully........There had to be 3 blue hats. Here is why......

3 white hats were not possible by rule. If there were 2 white hats, the wise man wearing the blue hat would have known immediately, but "no one spoke for what seemed like hours", so there could not have been 2 white hats.

That means that there must either be only 1 white hat or no white hats.

If one of the wise men had seen a white hat on the other wise men's head, he would know that his hat was blue since there could only be a max of 1 white hat. Again, the delay says that each man was working through this process of elimination, wondering if they were the one wearing the one white hat.

In the end, the winner is the first wise man to work through this process of elimination, but be sure that the others were not dumb enough to be staring at a white hat and not know that his must be blue.

All of the hats had to be blue.

100 % correct

Archived