Riddles

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes ..... your right now and all for the correct reasons.

The hat is blue

At first glance this problem appears to be impossible to solve, Contributing to this is the King's only real clue- that there is at least one blue hat -is useless since the sage can clearly see that there are at least two blue hats.

Everyone got stuck for a while : as the riddle clearly states, so did the three wisest sages in the kingdom. It is this fact that allowed our sage to give his answer, In truth, anyone of them would have come up with it, given enough time. Why ?

Consider a situation which we knew was not the case-that there was exactly one blue hat. What would happen ? There would be a spilt second of pondering by the person wearing that hat, and he would say "I am wearing a blue hat" No real puzzle there, but of course there wasn't just one blue hat. The important fact is that everyone knew there was not one blue hat. But more importantly than that everyone knew, or could quickly figure out that everyone else knew this (by the fact that the answer did not come out in the first few seconds)

This leaves everyone wondering "Are there two or three blue hats?"

Consider this less obvious situation-that there were exactly two blue hats. This seems a very real possibility at first, after all, we can see exactly two blue hats. So everyone sits and thinks-for a while. But if there are only two hats then two people see one blue and one white hat. These two people will very quickly, by the other's silence, rule out the possibility that there is only one blue hat. One of these two lucky sages would cry out within a few short minutes, if that long.

There is only one case which forces the three sages to sit in silence-thee blue hats. Our sage, through his sharp wits was the first to reach this conclusion.

Bust :

Check out the full answer above and see if it compares with your orginal version .... lol

But ok you got there , your prize is another riddle let me think !

Just for fun a new easy riddle

Five pirates are parting ways after finding a treasure of 100 pieces of gold. The pirates decide to split it based on a vote. Each pirate, from oldest to youngest, gets to propose a plan on how to split the gold.

If at least 50 per cent of the other remaining pirates agree on the plan, that is how they will split the gold. If less than 50 percent of the pirates agree, the pirate who came up with the plan will be thrown overboard. Each pirate is smart, greedy, and wants to throw as many others overboard as possible without reducing the amount of gold they get.

What plan can the first (oldest) pirate propose to live and get as much gold as possible?

Politically any plan that gives the oldest three the most gold, 34/33/33/0/0 or any formula like that as long as the youngest don't come up with a plan that gives the 3rd oldest more gold than the first two. If I was the youngest, I'd suggest that if my turn comes, I'll be suggesting 15/15/40/15/15, and spoil any chance the 3rd oldest would swing with his older mates.

FlasherMac :

Well yes....... your right a very good plan. It wasn't really the answer I expected, which is rather more drawn out and not as simple as yours.

Just for fun a new easy riddle

Five pirates are parting ways after finding a treasure of 100 pieces of gold. The pirates decide to split it based on a vote. Each pirate, from oldest to youngest, gets to propose a plan on how to split the gold.

If at least 50 per cent of the other remaining pirates agree on the plan, that is how they will split the gold. If less than 50 percent of the pirates agree, the pirate who came up with the plan will be thrown overboard. Each pirate is smart, greedy, and wants to throw as many others overboard as possible without reducing the amount of gold they get.

What plan can the first (oldest) pirate propose to live and get as much gold as possible?

pffft.... plucked from the internet with copy / paste just like the previous one......sorry.

Archived