Snakes

The other day I was in the garden tidying up, when I was horrified to see a snake. This one was thin and about one metre long, but as it was green and not brown as far as I know harmless. One thing I hate is snakes, so I shouted to my boyfriend to come out from inside the house to get rid of it. As my boyfriend picked up a broom the snake got its way on top of the wall and at lightning speed was making its way across. Within seconds it has disappeared, looking outside the snake was nowhere to be seen so we assumed it still to be in the garden. We got some lime powder from a hardware store to sprinkle around the garden and to date no more snake.

Unless you know how to positively identify a snake, stay well away. In particular there is a green tree snake that is bright apple green and harmless, there is also a very poisonous viper that looks exactly the same.

I saw a brown snake in my garden last week, about 5 ft long, I tried to kill it but it got away, shame, I was looking forward to a nice snake curry.

There are several green snakes that show up in gardens. Rule of thumb, 90% (or mare) of the snakes

in LOS are poisonous!

One variety of the green snake has a very small head/mouth in that is cannot bite you, but caution is advised!

I have had snakes under my desk in the office! one got into the air con unit outside the office (that was a nasty one)!!

I'm sure there are several living under the house at the ranch!!!

They are part of life in LOS...

My first apartment was near the river. Lots of snakes in that area, mostly harmless green snakes. But one green snake is poisonous ... though not very. It is the one GIs in RVN called the 2-stepper or 3-stepper. Allegedly, if it bit you, you took a couple of steps and dropped dead. That was nonsense and its venom is actually fairly mild. But no one was eager to test that!

p.s. In fact, 90% of the snakes in Thailand are not poisonous.

The snakes in the wild in Australia are enough reason for one to move to New Zealand. :surprised:

I saw a cobra once in Bangkok, but that was in Ekamai in 1973, back when that was the eastern edge of the city and consisted mostly of wooden buildings bordering on the rice paddies. Almost everyone I met there was a newcomer from Issan.

I also encountered a Pacific Coast rattlesnake in Southern California. That is one sound I will never forget! It is meant as I warning, and I took the hint. I've seen copperheads and water moccasins in the U.S. South ... also not something to tangle with. Give them a wide berth and they will do they same.