Thailand Displays Cash, Luxury Cars Seized In Probe Into Senior Police

cavanami

Now this is big...let's see if they do prison time...

http://www.trust.org/item/20141125081927-2msaf/

Thai police displayed stacks of cash, luxury cars and an extensive collection of antique Buddha statues on Tuesday seized in a probe that has led to the arrest of seven police on charges ranging from insulting the monarchy to money laundering.

Three of the seven have been charged with violating Thailand's strict lese-majeste law, which makes it a crime to defame, insult or threaten the monarchy.

"Some secretly referred to or openly referred to the monarchy in various matters including transfers, illegal gambling deals and oil smuggling," police chief Somyot Pumpanmuang told reporters, giving no further details....

Thai police kept illicit fortune in hidden vaults

http://news.yahoo.com/thai-police-kept-illicit-fortune-hidden-vaults-054914496.html

Two top police officers embroiled in a high-profile corruption scandal in Thailand kept an illicit fortune that included antique paintings, golden postage stamps and tens of millions of dollars in cash hidden in secret vaults at a dozen private residences, authorities said Wednesday.

Investigators found the goods stowed behind brick walls they had to break down and buried inside underground vaults on properties owned by the officers in Bangkok and the city's outskirts, said Col. Akkaradech Pimolsri, who heads the police Crime Suppression Division.

"Only a few people in Thailand could possess things as rare as this, like golden postage stamps and an ancient Buddha image," Akkaradech said...

I know the man personally for over 14 years already. KS can attest to this.

There are a lot more issues than is reported here. Basically Prayuth is a member of one fraction. Pongpat of another fraction. This is about sour grapes going back a long time (and no! little to do about Thaksin this goes one step higher). The last time I met Pongpat end of October he told me it is better not to contact with him for a couple of months as he was foreseeing problems heading his way and he didn;t want me cought up in it. He was already in a sour mood since Prayuth took over.

Basically Pongpat was one of the more succesfull officers in high profile cases. He nabbed kamnan Po just last year! He was the one whom was trusted by foreign law enforcement offices. Only men that he had handpicked go to Scotland Yard and the FBI to receive training. This is one part of the sour grapes within the police department. So now they will push all of the corruption in his shoes and blame him for all that is wrong.

Others apparently perhaps felt Pongpat did not share enough...so top guy becomes fall guy.

Klassik Thai reversal of fortunes

Its the Buddha images that I find intriguing as well as the Khmer and Mon stone pieces.

As many of you know Items like these are frequently seized at will when an individual is in a "vulnerable position"or given

as "gifts"... Some 40-50 years ago before the market developed internationally "villagers" frequently simply

gave them to top officials to gain favor- One hand washes the other and all of that.

No wonder many fine objects are found in the collections of top Military and Police officials

I have seen the collections myself...