Urine Samples

Before I left last year I saw the civil servants shaking down people for baht every day on suk - area starting around soi 11 up to 33. They'd follow prospects and walkie-talkie each other and then... kablam, stop them,scare them and hit them with a fine. They wore police like uniforms but weren't actually police, but civil servants whose job is to monitor littering (and ???), and impose fines - (I initially thought they were police also).

Have questioned everyone I know still living in that area and nobody knows anyone who was forced to go through a street piss test. Yeah, they read the same story on a few websites (stickboy, coconuts, thaivisa) - but nobody actually knows anyone verifiable who was stopped by police to take a piss test right off the street. So curious to hear more about that?

Took some pics of the litter police in action - a very happy lot (their victims not so much).

photo.jpg

photo.jpg

Hi,

"PS In Thaksin's day the soldiers "with their guns drawn" didn't have to take away Thai drug dealers, they just shot them all."

I think that was actually the police.

Sanuk!

And once the shooting started, there was a whole ripple or cascade effect, as the mafias cleaned out their own houses in fear, anticipation, or revenge -- those days, people were scared to ride moto-taxis in some areas, there were so many shootings going on, and the targets often just guys on motorbikes. An ugly time.

And once the shooting started, there was a whole ripple or cascade effect, as the mafias cleaned out their own houses in fear, anticipation, or revenge -- those days, people were scared to ride moto-taxis in some areas, there were so many shootings going on, and the targets often just guys on motorbikes. An ugly time.

A lot of inoffensive people seemed to be ending up, often those some policeman owed money to. :p