There ARE BKK Pubs in w/ Cup Commentary in English

frogpatrol

In today's Post, it was noted that the Office on Soi 33 had devised a way to hook up the Internet English feed to the television's speakers (see DBs thread), thus getting the Thai television broadcast, with the English Internet commentary.

A few questions about this:

1. Has anyone been to the Office to see/hear this?

2. Are there any other pubs, maybe the Living Room, that are trying this out?

3. Has anyone tried to hook this up at home? If so, and this also applies to question 1, was there a delay between the television feed and the Internet feed? In other words, are they off a few seconds?

4. If at home, would a lousy old 24,000 bps connection be enough to get this Internet feed, or would I need ADSL?

Cheers,

froggo

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard on the radio (FM 95.5) news this morning that the English feed was going to come in soon - they even promised to advise the actual date after a few commercials, but then I was at work already.

So, sorry not to answer your question directly, but ......

It seems that The Office has their own dish, don't believe that they were doing the Internet thingy ... but from my info that particular channel that had the World Cup in English isn't working right now. But, give it a try.

Cheers!

"If at home, would a lousy old 24,000 bps connection be enough to get this Internet feed, or would I need ADSL?"

24,000 is plenty of bandwidth for a low or medium quality audio-only netcast.

"3. Has anyone tried to hook this up at home? If so, and this also applies to question 1, was there a delay between the television feed and the Internet feed? In other words, are they off a few seconds? "

No, but I may today, simply because you've inspired me! ;-)

There probably would be a slight delay. The signal needs to be input into the media server and encoded.

It's possible that some English language radio stations which are carrying the games may also be netcasting them. Or the netcasts may be blacked out under rights issues.

Yahoo paid major dollars for the rights to netcast the video as pay-per-view so online audio coverage may be hard to find.

Thanks PM and DB,

I'll be monitoring this issue closely. Let me know if you have any luck w/ the connection, DB.

The Office got a great free promo in that letter to the editor in today's Bangkok Post. They even included the address! A shame it is so far from my home, but it might be worth the drive.

Cheers,

froggo

The Dusit Thani's Library Bar is showing the games in English, as are other "select" hotels, according to today's Post. Anyone know what other select hotels may be included.....?

Now, how much would a beer at the Dusit cost......?

f

Beer is THB 120++ for a small draft. Other bottles were 160++. The all you could eat snack buffet looked pretty good at THB 250++.

The English commentary was okay, but sounded like someone was doing it from a studio - not at the actual game.

The Office Bar is tuning in games from Satellite, not using the same feed at the Dusit Thani.

I was up in hong kong this week.

Commentary was in english and yes done out of a studio as Alan Parry was the commentator on alll 3 games. However still much better than a thai commentary.

Interestingly enough i watched the Ireland Germany game in an irsih bar in shanghai and they were taking the thai channel 11 feed with thai commentary. For the England Argentina game thye used the local chinese feed with chinese commentary.

The British Club here in Bangkok is offering the matches with english commentary. You must be a member to enter or at least be signed in by a member

Pete,

Are you a member? If so, your new best friend would like to treat you to a beer smile.gif

I tried the Dusit Thai the other night. My comments:

plusses:

1. English soundtrack

2. big screen television

3. each table gets its own flag. We were given Tunisia, we which rejected in favor of Cameroon. Not exactly sure why.

4. convience to Pat Pong - you know, for buying watches

5. waitresses that kneel at your feet

6. comfy chairs

minuses

1. 180 baht Heinekins, then add VAT, plus service. 4 beers came to 900 baht or so - ouch!

2. getting there is a pain, for me anyhow

3. rather sterile environment, after all, the pub is called "The Library"

froggo

Archived