Nigeria Not Important To Rest Of World It Seems

bust

A point well made.

For a real long time, the world has been pouring money into these places, people like President Goodluck Jonathan, scramble to the top of the pile and take all the money, then the West is asked to give more help. The Elite of the African nations are known as the WaBenzi (how the name Wabenzi came: to snub the political and connected business honchos who had an insatiable love for Mercedes Benz and other excesses) for good reason.

If President Goodluck Jonathan wanted to fix this problem, he could, but he'd have to spend, what he regards as his money, on the army to make them suitable for purpose.

I hear the actual death count was ~200.

Source?

I originally raised this not about what the west is doing to support them or how much money is being given in aid or the level of corruption. It was more about the lack of compassion offered from the rest of the world for the victims. I didn't see a candle lit vigil in Martin Place or Union Square or Piazza Farnese or Dublin or Rio or Trafalgar Square :rip:

Source?

I originally raised this not about what the west is doing to support them or how much money is being given in aid or the level of corruption. It was more about the lack of compassion offered from the rest of the world for the victims. I didn't see a candle lit vigil in Martin Place or Union Square or Piazza Farnese or Dublin or Rio or Trafalgar Square :rip:

Did you see any in Lagos?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-30788480

Thanks for that although as stated Nigeria has often been accused of underestimating casualty figures to downplay the threat of Boko Haram. I am guessing it will fall somewhere in between. And yes Lagos is the same. Seems we only are effected when it's on our own doorstep.

" Fly posted on Facebook that the major news agencies are cutting back on funding. Most of it goes to report on areas near to them (i.e. Europe). Very few qualified journalists are sent to cover Africa. Thus it goes under-reported."

Not to mention it does'nt sell newpapers if it did they would all be there .....

Fly posted on Facebook that the major news agencies are cutting back on funding. Most of it goes to report on areas near to them (i.e. Europe). Very few qualified journalists are sent to cover Africa. Thus it goes under-reported.

That has been going on for decades! The networks contract with local reporters.

Fly posted on Facebook that the major news agencies are cutting back on funding. Most of it goes to report on areas near to them (i.e. Europe). Very few qualified journalists are sent to cover Africa. Thus it goes under-reported.

I've stated this before.

It is the quality of the hotels that the journalists stay in. Must be 4 star and above.

And also, good paved roads.

I used to go to the FCCT now and then in the 1980s, when I was in publishing and did some freelance reporting myself. I was impressed by the people I met there. I went again in the early 2000's and saw mostly a bunch of young wannabes who didn't really know much about anything. The old style journalists seem to be a vanishing breed.

I remember people like this ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Davis_%28cameraman%29