Stickman Leaving Thailand Soon

Belem

Plus the Euro and other currency is down. Combined with the increased drink and BF prices, that means that fewer people can afford to come here on holiday. Plenty of sites have already given up the ghost. Kudos to you and KS for keeping yours going so long. :beer:

p.s. I edited a Thailand tourism magazine for a few years in the mid to late 1980s. The hotels and restaurants that let me know what was going on naturally got the most publicity. How could it be otherwise? I had a 4 page section on what was happening each month, and their PR had to get it to me before the next month's issue went to press. Otherwise, it got left out. Trink used to have his regular sources too. That's the way things work.

• Like 1

It's posts like this that demonstrate well why I tend not to post on the forums any more. There's so much misinformation - and this is a really good example of it.

The sad part is that people read stuff from people on forums who don't have a clue what's going on and they believe it. Worse still, they repeat it, often twisting it further or adding false comments such as "my friend who knows KS or Stickman or whoever said that......".

As for this forum's name change, that came several years later and was nothing to do with KS being scared or anything like that. It was due to a completely different and one which KS need not explain nor justify.

I was around that time and you also took down your nightlife section for a time in response to the Purachai-Thacksin crackdown like some other sites.

Some of the content of the weekly column is simply a reflection of the places I go and the bars that contact me and provide information. That's why some places are mentioned over and over again and some are never mentioned.

Dave The Rave's bars don't advertise with me, neither does Secrets, neither does Sunrise Tacos.

In the case of Dave, yes, he is a friend and he also let's me know what is happening in his bar. If i am in Nana I go in to see him, I see what's happening in his bar and write about it. Ditto when I am in Pattaya I go to Secrets. They don't advertise with me. Secrets quite simply has a format that works for me. Sunrise Tacos is where I eat often so I write about it. Yes, the owner is a good friend, but if I didn't like it, I wouldn't write about it! I have many friends in business who have bars or restaurants I don't like and I simply don't mention them!

There are other bars like Heaven Above in Pattaya and Club Malibu recently which get frequent mentions BECAUSE THE OWNERS LET ME KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON. I have long tried to get bar bosses to tell me what's happening so I can plug parties, promotions and events but most are really slack at letting me know what is going on.

You had a banner ad exchange with Secrets for a time and isn't Sunrise Tacos owned by Sunbelt Asia who writes a column in the place in the weekly where Mrs Stick wrote before you two divorced?

Hi,

"I was around that time and you also took down your nightlife section for a time in response to the Purachai-Thacksin crackdown like some other sites."

There was a lot more going on behind the scenes at that time, but Purachai/Thaksin had nothing to do with it.

And no, I will not elaborate.

The name change was done in order to try to get more advertisers and a broader audience. In hindsight that was a bad move, but of course hindsight is always 20-20.

As for the decline in members, yes, the name change almost certainly was a part of it, but the rise of social networking and the increased ease of setting up websites were certainly a large part of it as well.

Sanuk!

• Like 1

You had a banner ad exchange with Secrets for a time and isn't Sunrise Tacos owned by Sunbelt Asia who writes a column in the place in the weekly where Mrs Stick wrote before you two divorced? You also plugged got implicated in a raid of underage girls when he had to flee Thailand and go back to England.

First of all, is it necessary to name people? This should be edited and removed as I am sure it is against forum rules. Further, what you have written is factually wrong. Why do you continually do that?

The relationship between Sunbelt and Sunrise is immaterial to any mentions made of either on my site and NO, Sunrise is NOT owned by Sunbelt. Again, the facts are wrong.

Yes, I once had a banner exchange with Secrets but that is NOT why I mention the bar. I've long said Secrets is my favourite bar in Pattaya and many years after the banner exchnage ended, that's still the case and I still mention it BECAUSE I LIKE IT THERE! I mention venues I frequent and venues which provide with information about what is going on. I tend to mention the same veues rhese days because I don't go out a lot and when I do I tend to gravitate to the same places.

Sunbelt Legal is not an advertiser although, yes, they have a banner which is a thank you for the legal questions they answer.

Like I said in a previous post, I happen to eat at Sunrise more than anywhere else hence it is mentioned more than anywhere else. In the past I mentioned Tilac Bar in Soi Cowboy a lot because, funnily enough, I used to go there more than any other bar.

As for the decline in members, yes, the name change almost certainly was a part of it, but the rise of social networking and the increased ease of setting up websites were certainly a large part of it as well.

Sanuk!

Agree with this 100% although my feeling is the name change was not as much a part of it as the other reasons. Go back 10 years and there were few sites with information on the nightlife...now there are many.