Somyot Says Panel Must Explain How Thaksin 'offended Police Dignity'

Coss

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- NATIONAL police chief General Somyot Poompanmuang said Friday he has sent back a request for him to strip former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra of his rank as a police lieutenant colonel to the police committee that considered the issue.

The panel had failed to thoroughly determine how Thaksin's behaviour deserved the action, he said.

Previously, Somyot sent back a request to strip Thaksin of his rank on grounds that a panel member failed to sign his name to endorse the decision.

"I insist that I'm not buying time. I don't fear [anything]. Everything must go through the process in accordance with the regulations," Somyot told reporters.

According to the 2004 regulation on police rank, an officer is to be stripped their rank if they violate the regulation through behaviour that damages the dignity and reputation of police, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmul...e-30261704.html

Dear national Police Chief Captain General Colonel Vice Regal Admiral 1st class Right Honourable Companion of the Order of Meritorious Lions of the Golden Water, Somchai Police officer,

your beloved Mr Thaksin, has exhibited behaviour that damages the dignity and reputation of police, by allowing, during his tenure, the Police to continue to be nepotistic, corrupt and feckless.

This has lead to the police being widely regarded, both domestically and internationally, as 'Keystone cops with consequences'.

Your continued defence of this position, and loyalty to your progenitor, demonstrates only your short sighted hopes that the Thaksin family will one day resume the reigns of power in Thailand and that at that time you hope to be rewarded.

Your are sir, the representation of everything a properly defined police force, should not be.

Kind regards

Coss

He is NEVER coming back

If only the junta had the same confidence, they wouldn't need to continue with all these efforts... I bet they fear he could be back in the blink of an eye, if they allow even the slightest opening - so they will hammer and hammer and hammer, only letting up when they have somehow damaged him enough in the eyes of the population that they no longer favor him, his family, or others with similar populist/pro-rural approaches. I suspect they're not very confident this has not yet been acheived - if I was them, I wouldn't be very confident either.

They must be having brainstorming sessions at the top, trying to figure out how exactly you push a Thai politician into disrepute in the Thai public eye.. Sex scandal? Ha, not likely - not Thaksin's thing, and Thais wouldn't care anyway. There's the big one that shall remain unnamed - limited impact of those charges. Corruption? Right there with sex scandal, no one minds, as long as he's still jai dee towards the village - plus, getting rich just shows he's a winner, and gives him more money to share with the people... Has he been accused of being anti-Buddhist yet, or of outrages against the sangha? That'd be one to try, if not already tried...

Weebles Wobble But They Don't Fall Down...