More Fallout From The Vehicle Rebate Scheme?

cavanami

Just had a Thai friend go to the Thai Dept of Motor Vehicles to get a motorbike driver's license...was told to come back in three months...WTF...

They are so overloaded at the Dept of Motor Vehicles processing all the 1,000,000 added vehicles to the Thai highways, that you cannot get a drivers license...

Someone wants to drive legally on the highways but cannot get a license?????

It just keeps getting better...azz clowns at their best!!!

This is in Samut Sakhon so YMMV in other areas...

A different experience I suppose, very recently a farang friend wanted that his Thai girlfriend could drive his car, a leap of faith on his part considering he has a lovely Audi sports car. He simply paid for a total of 15 hours tuition about 5,500 baht with a local driving school. A theory test was taken at the school, which is done in liaison with the test centre.

That sorted, she was then taken to the driving test centre at Nong Chok for the practical test and obtain her licence. The process took about 1 hour from start to finish at the centre. From not being able to drive she can now, and has a car driving licence accomplished within a couple of weeks.

The Thai driver's school can be very good.

I have seen good, solid teaching and on the road practice.

The schools that I have seen teach about "right of way", defensive driving and it reminded me of driving schools

in the USA.

I would like to see more Thai drivers educated in the correct way of driving.

Hi,

"From not being able to drive she can now, and has a car driving licence accomplished within a couple of weeks."

You mean, she now knows how to physically operate the car, not sure if I would say she can 'drive' a car. The latter takes a lot more time than 15 hours to succesfully master.

I remember my wife complaining a lot that I made her take driving lessons before buying her a car. She complained bitterly after the first lesson that it was easy and she already knew how to drive. After she came back from her second lesson though, she was a lot more subdued. So much so that I asked her what happened and if the lesson went okay. She replied with a mumbled "We went into traffic today".

Ex-secretary is another of these stories. She paid for 10 lessons, had 6 driving around on a parking lot, then took - and passed! - her exam. You can't possibly be a good, or even okay-ish, driver after 6 hours driving around on a parking lot.

Actually enforcing driving lessons and exams (also for motorbikes!) would likely reduce the number of accidents drastically.

Sanuk!

I don't think Thailand has such a thing as a learner's permit. In California you could get one at 15 1/2, and then you could drive if a licensed driver accompanied you. At 16 you could take the test for your licence. In LOS I think you're just supposed to drive without one until you're good enough to pass the driving test. Plus the minimum age is 18. (How many 10-year-olds have you seen riding motorbikes?)

Australia license rules are so strict, XX hours with a licensed driver, xx hours from a school, zero alcohol limit for first I think 2 years, limit on engine size, all of which I think are smart. I lived a lot on a farm, I drove from age 10 til 17 (license age then in QLD) a lot, I must have racked up 100's hours per year, HOWEVER exactly as KS said,

As soon as I hit traffic in the city, it was learning again.

It's easy to learn to drive a car, it's hard to learn to drive with other cars.

• Like 1