Thailand-China Submarine Deal Suspended Following Concern Over Jeopardizing Ties With Washington

cavanami

...the plot thickens...

Thailand-China Submarine Deal Suspended Following Concern Over Jeopardizing Ties With Washington

http://www.ibtimes.com/thailand-china-submarine-deal-suspended-following-concern-over-jeopardizing-ties-2012291

The Royal Thai Navy announced Thursday that the government has suspended action on the high-profile one billion dollar submarine deal with China, which was still seeking final approval from the cabinet. The decision to put the deal on hold came after domestic and international experts expressed concern over how the deal with Beijing would affect Bangkok’s relations with the U.S.

“We will wait for now and not introduce it to the cabinet for approval,†Prawit Wongsuwan, the deputy prime minister and defense minister, said, according to a report by China’s state-run Global Times. Wongsuwan reportedly also added that the Royal Thai Navy (RTN) would continue to conduct research on the suitability of the deal and weigh the costs and benefits to the country before finalizing the deal, according to Thailand’s Public Broadcasting Service.

“It’s clear that the U.S. definitely does not want to see any closer cooperation between China and Thailand, especially in terms of military and defense,†Li Haidong, a professor at the China Foreign Affairs University told the Global Times, who added that it is “understandable and predictable†that Thailand reacted this way because the U.S. diplomacy was a very important priority.

Ha! Bet the deportation of Uighurs didn't put the US side in a better mood to swallow that submarine deal - insult to injury during the same week. I'm a bit surprised there's still someone in the administration capable of determining when the junta types have overstepped their bounds - who actually stood up and said, "Uh, hey guys, I know that You are correct 100% of the time, and there is no chance that an error was made, but, ah, regarding the billion dollar Chinese sub deal you've been crowing about...? Maybe..."

Anyway, whoever put the deal on hold may have just saved some sailors lives - there's certain things don't belong pinging along under the sea, and Thai soldiers seem to me to be on that list.

yeh, the U.S. munitions company wants to sell to Thailand

Maybe .... I think they not like the idea of Thailand having any submarines and a naval base unless it's their base and submarines in Thailand ....

- perhaps the US wants to sell them stuff, but not submarines right now, I think, US companies are not in the running (and might have difficulties with the current regime status, I'd imagine). I think it's more just an alignment issue that the US wouldn't like - who knows, the Chinese probably put a little remote control command-and-control program in the subs, a couple guys can run them from a base on Hainan while the crew on board wonders why nothing is working the way it's supposed to...

Just poking around online, it seems Thailand used to have a handful of Jap subs they got in 1937, decommissioned shortly after the end of the war: no parts or maintenance, and no purpose. But hey - never mind that the last misadventure turned out to be a waste - buy some more, why not. Big toy boat, sanuk!

• Like 1

Anyway, whoever put the deal on hold may have just saved some sailors lives - there's certain things don't belong pinging along under the sea, and Thai soldiers seem to me to be on that list.

55555 what you said :)

Now here was me thinking that Saudi Arabia, was having a cash flow problem and selling bonds to finance public spending .... No wonder if they buy the best German engineering ...

https://en.wikipedia...oyal_Saudi_Navy

Saudi Arabia wants to buy five German submarines for around €2.5 billion ($3.4 billion) and more than two dozen more in the future.

Enormous disappointment . I have already set up a team to determine appropriate names for the submarines , so far we have :

Tingtong Isaan

Tingtong Singha

Tingtong Hillary

Tingtong Visarun

Not sure how many they are going to get , any update highly appreciated .