Phuc Dat Bich

Mekong

FACEBOOK tried to shut him down — but Melbourne man Phuc Dat Bich is having the last laugh.

The car lover with the rapper-style moniker has achieved global notoriety after complaining the social media giant repeatedly closed his account.

He even began trending on Twitter at the weekend as news sites around the world covered his plight.

His Facebook profile remains active, and he took to it yesterday to thank his new-found fans for their support.

“I’d like to mention that I am very grateful to those who have been supportive of certain names that populate in different cultures,†he wrote.

“We live in a diverse and multicultural society and the fact that there are people out there who are supportive and encouraging really makes me happy.

“I’ve never ranted nor wheeped (sic) that my post would get this sort of exposure. But I am glad and honoured to be able to make people happy by simply making them laugh at something that appears outrageous and ridiculous.â€

The bank cleaner in January posted a picture of what he swears is his passport on Facebook, bemoaning his constant attempts to prove his name is real.

But his story only went viral last week and he’s thrilled to have provided some merriment.

“Much tragic events have happened all over the world, out of it all only happiness can mend. As an individual I hope I have played a part in brightening your days!â€

Despite the wave of wellwishers, he’s still dogged by questions about his name’s legitimacy, and speculation the passport was doctored.

But Phuc Dat, whose name actually sounds something like Phoo Dat Bet, is yet to respond publicly.

He told the Herald Sun: “Fame’s fame to be honest I don’t really care.â€

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/phuc-dat-bich-says-thanks-after-his-facebook-passport-photo-goes-viral/news-story/e29da394a920deb2e78ec6b13cd9f0c9

An Australian calling himself Phuc Dat Bich who made global headlines after saying he was fighting to use his real name on Facebook admits it was hoax.

"Mr Bich" said on Facebook his real name was "Joe Carr" (or perhaps joker).

He said what had started as a joke between friends "became a prank that made a fool out of the media".

But he said it also brought out the best in people and gave encouragement to people with "truly interesting and idiosyncratic names".

Facebook have not responded to BBC requests for comment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-34918491