What Have You Had Nicked (Stolen)

The_Munchmaster

Cavanami's recent thread about a safe with keypad reminded me about having $1,200 nicked from my room safe in the Regency Park Hotel a couple of years ago.

This in turn got me thinking about all the stuff I've had nicked during the 24 years I've worked overseas.

So here's a list of what I can remember.

Canon SLR Camera, lenses and bag - Jakarta 1990 (maid duped and gave it to someone who said they knew me)

US$ 1,500 - Bangkok 1992 (nicked from my office by maid, Police got most of it back though)

Canon Compact Camera – Bangkok 1993 (nicked from my bedroom, either by maid or an overnight guest)

Tag Heuer Watch - Bangkok 1994 (nicked from my bedroom, either by maid or an overnight guest)

Canon SLR Camera - Bangkok 1997 (nicked from my office)

HK Sevens Rugby Jersey - Bangkok 1997 (nicked from my office)

Canon SLR Camera - Rio de Janeiro 2002 (robbed at knifepoint in broad daylight)

£50 – Dubai 2012 (nicked from my apartment by agency maid)

US$ 1,200 - Bangkok 2013 (nicked from room safe at Regency Park Hotel)

Have I been unlucky or have others had some of their possessions pilfered over years of working / travelling in other countries?

I've been lucky:

1970s - radio-tape recorder stolen, along with a telephoto lens and a wide angle lens. (Home entry)

1980s - portable typewriter and two small oil paintings on a wall (Home entry)

- wallet with ID etc and around 1,000 baht (pickpocket near Victory monument)

1990s - two small Buddhist amulets (the creep knew which ones were valuable), half a bottle of bourbon, a 35mm SLR camera (Home entry, he hit my neighbour's house for much more)

Actually, this is almost nothing when compared to the SOBs who broke into my parents' home in the States and made off with jewellery and heirlooms worth at least US35,000, including about $6,000-$8,000 worth that belonged to me. :(

Had about 7 k baht stolen from my hotel room in Patts last year.There was a small safe in the room but it looked cheap and was secured to the wall by only a couple of small screws,plus I didn`t know how the key pad/locking mechanism worked,so I thought I would give it a miss.The cash was part towards the next months rent and I didn`t want to take it to the beach so decided to conceal it in the room in a very out-of-the-way place.A few days later,checked and some b*stard had pinched it .Most likely the cleaning staff.Luckily passport,cards,laptop were not touched otherwise I would have been farked.Only stayed there another week but made sure I took all my valuables with me when I went out .