Tax

The story goes something like this, not sure of the background details. A new farang to the area was telling us all one evening, about his experiences with the tax man in the United Kingdom.

Working for over 15 years for Texaco on the oil rigs in in some technical capacity, and paying taxes via the company in America. So far so good, until his return to the United Kingdom, where the tax man politely pointed out he had not filed a tax return each year in the United Kingdom and wanted a considerable amount of money from him, in taxes.

He politely pointed out that he had paid all his taxes in America, which the tax man in the United Kingdom, basically dismissed saying they had no interest in this, and demanded payment of tax. He objected, but to no avail, as the tax man said they were aware he owned property in the country, wanted tax owing as they saw it, threatening legal action and a charge on his property. He ended up paying about 1.5 million baht in sterling.

Ummm .... There must be farang in Thailand who have not have paid taxes in their home countries. Perhaps some farang working here as English teachers for many years or others. Who will not receive their governments pension from their home countries on retirement.

USA is about the only country that double taxes, Australia does NOT double tax, regardless what Bust advises (Mate go see an accountant) from the ATO - https://www.ato.gov....ax-residency/��

Australian law, and UK is very similar. If you are out of the country 6 months an 1 day, AND your principal residence is out of the country, then generally you are not liable for tax. There's lots of minor details, but before leaving Australia for nearly 20 years, I formally advised them, as I was advised by both the Tax department and accountants, that I was no longer an Australian resident nor would I be the following years.

I did not have to lodge tax returns. Now I have returned to Australia, even though I am working overseas, even though I live away long enough, I still fail the residency test as my principal home is in Australia.

I could cheat, and most likely get away with it, but don't see the point of doing so.

Key is to make sure you are not resident, regardless of time away from Australia (i.e. don't leave a wife and kids at home) and make sure you are away 6 months and 1 day.

Frankly the comment made by the man pretending to be a thai women sounds very fishy and dubious.

From the UK Gov website, took me a few seconds to find, my god you are stoppid,

https://www.gov.uk/t...ncome/residence I think someone is full of shit or not telling the truth

From PWC http://www.pwc.com/j...dence-test.html

Non-residents only pay tax on their UK income - they don’t pay UK tax on their foreign income.

The tax man said he had a house, perhaps he rented it out and not declared tax and along with not filing a tax return maybe that and other reasons why ... I have no reason to doubt what he said. I did bother to reply to you, but I don't like you at all as you not like me .. But hey I really don't care what you think about anything ...