Water Festival Los - Laos - Wasteland

Coss

Having avoided Songkran in LOS, due to the unmitigated feral nature of same, I've only ever experienced Songkran in Laos and now two versions, a Thai and a Lao, in the Wasteland.

In Laos it seemed to me that the celebrations were a toned down version the Thai extravagance, with much water throwing, but none on my good self due to respect shown to other people. What people did get drenched, were those who were obviously up for it. No cameras, or elderly were damaged in any of the proceedings.

Now in the wasteland of Middle Earth, I went to the Thai and Lao versions held here, conveniently a week apart.

The Thai version was held at a community centre, quite a lot of tradition, food, a smattering of monks and a lot of the local Thai population. The main things that stood out to me? Open slather on the water, babies and decrepit old people and camera holders were not spared, and all the food stalls were profit centres.

The Lao version was held at the temple, a converted house, heavy on tradition, lotsa traditional dress, a large number of Lao people, an excellent chance to view the mothers of beauties side by side with their stunning daughters, vast quantities of food, no non respectful water or powder throwing, I was spared a drenching, more food than people, all free, all smiles, loverly.

There's still good in the world.

I did Songkran in Vientiane one year with another board member and we had a great time. It was much more relaxed and didn't have that moronic farang factor who seem to think they are in full combat.

post-6949-0-92969100-1461030741_thumb.jpg

When I was living in Laos upcountry about 15 years ago, myself and my farang colleague - the only farangs in the provincial capital - fled town to Thailand for the holiday week, it was just too much to take in Laos. Early morning kids knocking on the door with invitations to start the drinking, and as the only foreigners there was no end and no refuge from the celebration - went to Chiang Mai to be able to do the Songkran thing at our own pace... But right - it wasn't the disrespectful water and powder like in Thailand, just the all-day-long drinking... and I'm an all day long drinker (or was...), but just couldn't take days of it in my workplace...

When I came to Thailand in the 1970s, it was the same upcountry - only every day. Any lone Farang was sure to be invited to join the locals in drinking. A colleague finally found the right answer. He'd say ... "I'd like to, but I have to get back to my wife." Since most Thai men are afraid of their wives, they immediately smile and wave you on your way.