Flashermac

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Tears are shed over Check Inn but IMHO there is a bigger loss to the Bangkok expat bar scene and that will be the demise of Jools

Where the hell is Jools most ask, a little insignificant shop house across from Raja complex up Suk Soi 4

In its early days was quiet more like a mates front room than a bar, attracted the usual collection of excentric characters of which I am proud to say I was one. The original owner decided to sell up and "Big Dave" bought him out, Dave was a merchant banker in Dubai at the time, I knew him from London, Like who the hell shows up at Hammersmith Odeon, Bowler Hat, Pin Stripe Suit, Briefcase, Umbrella and a rolled up copy of the Times under his arm to a Magadeath Concert, Dave did.

One of the miscreants came up with the idea "I'm Going to write a novel" we were all like "fuck off soft lad", Who wants to read about a bunch of guys who drink here and go playing in Nana Plaza,

The novel never got published but is still a classic, The Author was Stephan Leather, Jools became "Fatso's" Big Dave was christened Fatso, Pete? Pete never existed Pete's antics were an amalgulmation of the shite those of us sitting around the bar used to get up to. What was written was true, doubly so, I will never confess take it to the grave with me.

The Novel?

A Private Dancer

This is why I will miss Jools,

What will be left of the old Soi 4 I used to cherish back in the days.

Die Nasty, known to most as Dynasty Inn the the sign in Thai reads DIE NASTY, one of the oldest jokes in Bangkok folklore, Up the Soi Chez Queers OK Chequers but to old Jools patrons always known as Chez Queers

Much like a sports team you had to chose one, Jools lot would not be seen dead in Queers and Queers bunch wouldn't be served the sweat from the barmaids apron in Jools, just the way it was