Psychiatric Help Needed...?

Old Hippie

Maybe OH, an extended stay is your solution - as well as that, I can tell you that the BIG 40 does bring on changes in life and once this settles down you will re-focus and see what you really want out of life and how to get it..."-Soiled cowboy

Yes, that would be nice! But the assholes at work are not cooperating in terms of extended leave. They don't seem to understand my needs!

Big Kev,

Sorry to dissillusion you!:) I posted awhile back on how the name came about, basically, I was getting a haircut after a few months on the road, and an Ozzie said "...about time mate, you are starting to look like an old hippie..." my GF at the time was the hair dresser, and she started to occassionally call me that, thus a legend was born!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

40??? Holy shit I thought you said you were "old" I'm older then you, by a few months.

As regards your adjustment (or lack of adjusting)problem, I am going through the same as you. I've been back for almost 4 months and I can't shake it. It's getting to be a problem. For a while I just didn't think about it and that helped. That is no Thai food, music, reading books, or this board, etc. I felt OK and then started obsessing again.

I actually thought about a shrink, but what the hell would they be able to do? They can't even handle normal mental problems, so dealing with post tramatic/bkk blues would be a super sized problem they could never understand!

There's definately a need for a special team of super-shrinks who have been in "the field" that could help, of course if they engage in "field work" they may never come back.

I sometimes think I need to learn to "dislike" the place, that will make it easier to leave. I know, find a coniving/scheming BG, fall in love with her, then when she screws you over royally, you might just start to dislike the place!

Chok Dee

Not-So-Old Hippie,

Have you considered the possibility that what you may need is less time in LOS rather than more, and more balance in your "home" life?

If you are locked into a miserable existence at home, and 3-5 trips here a year are your only outlet, then maybe you need to find a way (job/career change?) that gives you more balance in your day-to-day life. From what you say, it occurs to me that each trip you make to LOS might make you progressively more miserable upon each return to reality, and eventually it might reach crisis proportions.

Again, based solely on what you have posted, it sounds like you live a black (home) and white (LOS) existence. Maybe some shades of grey are called for. A "Touch of Grey," so to speak.

Take care.

A "Touch of Grey," so to speak.

...Kind of suits me anyway... Yes, you are right I think, but I think I'll keep going till I hit rock bottom! Life here is o.k. good job/salary (despite the assholes always trying to cut our pay) and decent place to live, but I would like to really have an adventure there, long term. Like I said, maybe it is just part of getting older and wanting new things, or more of the things we enjoy the most.

Archived