The Covid-19 thread

Coss

1. I am a small group

2. I am not on my last legs, so much so, I am early on in any sickness I may get in the future

3. my treatment was started early on, the protocol.

Jesus saved me.

14 hours ago, radioman said:

The Financial times has an interesting piece, perhaps a bit on the TLDR side for the limited attention span types but a worthy read. Inside Trump's coronavirus meltdown

If you Google on the title of the link above however, at least for me, it should take you to the full article. A beverage of choice should be prepared before digesting.

mmmm....

UK newspaper underscores US mishandling of COVID-19, lack of leadership

British newspaper Financial Times has explored in detail about what went wrong with the US Trump administration's handling of the COVID-19 pandemic while showing a lack of global leadership in the crisis.

"In hindsight, Trump's claim to global leadership leaps out. History will mark COVID-19 as the first time that ceased to be true. US airlifts have been missing in action. America cannot even supply itself," said a recent article published on the FT website.

The article, titled "Inside Trump's coronavirus meltdown", cited William Burns, former United States Deputy Secretary of State and now head of the Carnegie Endowment, as saying that "Trump's handling of the pandemic at home and abroad has exposed more painfully than anything since he took office the meaning of America First."

"America is first in the world in deaths, first in the world in infections and we stand out as an emblem of global incompetence. The damage to America's influence and reputation will be very hard to undo," Burns said.

"It is as though we knew for a fact that 9/11 was going to happen for months, did nothing to prepare for it and then shrugged a few days later and said, 'Oh well, there's not much we can do about it,'" said Gregg Gonsalves, a public health scholar at Yale University, in the article. "Trump could have prevented mass deaths and he didn't."

The US Centers for Disease Control has been plagued by mishap and error throughout the crisis. The agency spent weeks trying to develop a jinxed test when it could simply have imported WHO-approved kits from Germany, which has been making them since late January, said the article written by Edward Luce, the FT's US national editor and columnist.

"The CDC has been missing in action...Because of the CDC's errors, we did not have a true picture of the spread of the disease," said the author, citing a former senior adviser in the Trump White House as saying.

Trump has alleged the WHO's (World Health Organization) negligence had increased the world's death rate "twenty-fold". However, the article pointed out that the WHO declared an international emergency six weeks before Trump's US announcement. "WHO officials say Trump's move has badly hindered its operations," it said.

When it comes to Trump's suspending US funding of the WHO, the article citied Bernhard Schwartlander, chief of staff at the WHO, as saying "You don't turn off the hose in the middle of the fire, even if you dislike the fireman." "This virus threatens every country in the world and will exploit any crack in our resolve," he said.

The article also said blaming America's death rate on China and the WHO could well help Trump's re-election campaign. "Many voters are all too ready to believe the US is a victim of nefarious global forces."

"America, in other words, should brace itself for a turbulent six months ahead -- with no assurance of a safe landing," Luce wrote.

UN Chief Antonio Guterres salutes India for helping over 55 coronavirus-hit countries by sending Hydroxychloroquine and other aids

Responding to a question on the reaction of UN chief Antonio Guterres to India’s efforts to send Hydroxychloroquine and other supplies to other countries amidst the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak, Guterres’ spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said he ‘salutes’ India and other countries helping others in the global fight against the coronavirus pandemic...

According to sources, India is also sending the drug to neighbouring countries like Afghanistan, Bhutan, Bangladesh Nepal, the Maldives, Mauritius, Sri Lanka and Myanmar.

It will also be supplying the anti-malaria drug to other countries like Zambia, Dominican Republic, Madagascar, Uganda, Burkina Faso, Niger, Mali, Congo, Egypt, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Ecuador, Jamaica, Syria, Ukraine, Chad, Zimbabwe, France, Jordan, Kenya, the Netherlands, Nigeria, Oman and Peru...

https://www.opindia.com/2020/04/un-chief-antonio-guterres-salute-india-hydroxychloroquine-supply-coronavirus-covid-19/

I did a quick look,  for a fatal dose of Hydroxychloroquine

and found - 

42 tablets of 200mg of hydroxychloroquine which is 8.4 grams - the patient had consumed 42 tablets of 200mg of hydroxychloroquine each, in the context of attempted suicide.

So  a kilo should do 119 people, a cult perhaps.

Perhaps Donald is building up to a Jim Jones, stadium event, with 50,000 cult members...

https://www.medintensiva.org/en-hydroxychloroquine-potentially-lethal-drug-articulo-S2173572717300577

On 4/16/2020 at 7:40 AM, The_Munchmaster said:

Coronavirus: Captain Tom Moore raises more than £9m for NHS

This guy, who will be 100 years old on the 30th April, set out to raise £1,000 (Baht 41,000) for the NHS by completing 100 laps of his Bedfordshire garden, with the help of a walking frame, by tomorrow.

As of now he has raised more than £9 million (Baht 370 million) !!!!! 😲😮😃😁

_111778074_tom1.jpg

Captain Tom Moore ‘looking forward’ to being knighted by the Queen: ‘I hope she’s not very heavy-handed with the sword’

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/lifestyle/other/captain-tom-moore-looking-forward-to-being-knighted-by-the-queen-i-hope-she-s-not-very-heavy-handed-with-the-sword/ar-BB14mNut

• Like 1

Scientists in China believe new drug can stop pandemic 'without vaccine'

A Chinese laboratory has been developing a drug it believes has the power to bring the coronavirus pandemic to a halt.

The outbreak first emerged in China late last year before spreading across the world, prompting an international race to find treatments and vaccines.

A drug being tested by scientists at China's prestigious Peking University could not only shorten the recovery time for those infected, but even offer short-term immunity from the virus, researchers say. 

Sunney Xie, director of the university's Beijing Advanced Innovation Center for Genomics, told AFP that the drug has been successful at the animal testing stage.

"When we injected neutralising antibodies into infected mice, after five days the viral load was reduced by a factor of 2,500," said Xie.

"That means this potential drug has (a) therapeutic effect."

The drug uses neutralising antibodies -- produced by the human immune system to prevent the virus infecting cells -- which Xie's team isolated from the blood of 60 recovered patients...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/scientists-china-believe-drug-stop-pandemic-without-vaccine-103505914.html