Are they really that poor?

Fidel

I read somewhere that in one part of Issan (Buliram I think) the average wage is $200 per annum

------------------------------

Impossible. that's around 600 baht a month, 150 a week, 25 a day. i know cleaning ladies who were making 50 bahts a day in 1988 and hardly breaking their back.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dosen't LOS have a minimum wage law? I thought to be around 180 baht/day. Not sure though. That would mean around 5K baht (43,800), or around $1,000 US/year. Of course farmers would not be protected under this, so yearly income could be much lower for them in bad years.

Hard to believe, when you think about it, huh? Take a girl L/T for 5 days, and she is making what it takes her father 3 months to make, if he's lucky enough to equal minimum wage standard.

That's a 12 to 1 ratio. So in three years she can make what it would take her father 36 years to make.

Therein lays the main reason for prolific prostitution in Thailand. If they could only learn to save, they could work for 5 years, and retire for life. I, for one, would love to be able to do that.

HT

I still have a "world economy 1996" copy from the leading economist paper in France, "LE MONDE". I am not sure about their sources but they cover every country in the world and discuss his economic year. Wish I had for this year, but here's what they say about yearly income in thailand back then. 1994: 2400$, 1995: 2750$, 1996: 3000$+ projected. Then 97 happened, but if employement has suffered, it did not bring back incomes, and wages especially to pre-90s level of under 2000$.

To get personal, my GF was making 2000b/month as a baby sitter in BKK in 92, straight from her Issan village, poor job but no skills. In 97, she was making 7000b/month in a factory in Laem Chabang, working extra hours too. She thought she money was good, but then 97 happened and she had to work for less. She quit. She tried waitress in Pattaya, they would only pay 2500/month in most thai/chinese restaurants, so of course, the city lights took her another direction. not making any point, just contributing numbers i can remember.

Hi,

"Impossible. that's around 600 baht a month, 150 a week, 25 a day. i know cleaning ladies who were making 50 bahts a day in 1988 and hardly breaking their back."

You are assuming here that these people have steady income year round, which is almost certainly not the case. While there is often something to do, a lot of the work does not pay anything and many men go without any form of income for long periods of time.

My brothers-in-law for instance might work the fields for a month or so, work around the house for a while then get lucky and land a job in BKK for a couple of weeks, be home again, etc.

Sanuk!

Hi,

" Dosen't LOS have a minimum wage law? I thought to be around 180 baht/day. Not sure though."

Yes, there is a minimum wage, but most companies just don't give a shit. The minimum wage is also lower in the country side.

" That would mean around 5K baht (43,800), or around $1,000 US/year."

Yes, but only if you assume this person would work every day of the year, which in most cases upcountry is highly unlikely.

Sanuk!

seasonal fieldlabour, hired on varying dayrates.

most parts of the year there is simply no work available. and the fieldjobs getting less too as more and more is taken over by machines.

their employers are farmers whose land has not been taken away by the banks yet.

Dosen't LOS have a minimum wage law?

[color:blue]A TG told me recently that in April Thailand adopted an American-style Social Security system. 3% from employee, 3% from employer. Funny, I haven't read/heard about that anywhere else. She speaks very good English and said the system is actually called "Social Security". She said the benefit on disability/old age is 300B/month.color=blue>

Not assuming, just read that he said average wage, not income and indeed read it then as fully employed wage average, maybe my mistake there. as most of farangs a little familiar with Issan life, i am aware of the unemployement rate. This said, there is a good part of hidden (not secret but not getting in the books) income from many sources. I remember this family making jasmine garlands every night, singing along. Incredible how many they could make, and all would sell, 5 bahts a piece wholesale. Adds up a bit.....

their employers are farmers whose land has not been taken away by the banks yet

------------------------------

Fly, you indomitable optimist! LOL

Yes, I confused in the discussion if the topic was about average income or how much fully employed people make on average on Thailand. Umemployement is of course part of the life of many in the farmlands.

Archived