What's In A Name?

bust

Australian journalist calls her baby ‘Methamphetamine Rules’ as a test of naming regulations

When ABC journalist Kirsten Drysdale gave birth to her third child, she decided to put the Births Deaths and Marriages register to the test

Are there any names you can’t legally call your baby in Australia?

It’s a question many wanted answered by the ABC’s new show What the FAQ, says Kirsten Drysdale, a journalist at the public broadcaster. So when Drysdale gave birth to her third son in July, she decided to put it to the test.

She submitted his given name to New South Wales Births, Deaths and Marriages as “Methamphetamine Rules”.

“We thought we would submit the most outrageous name we could think of, assuming it would be rejected,” she said. “But it didn’t turn out that way – unfortunately Methamphetamine Rules slipped through the cracks.”

A spokesperson for Births, Deaths and Marriages said the “unusual name” had “unfortunately slipped through”.

They said they had strengthened the registry’s process in response to this “highly unusual event”, and would be working with the family to change the name.

However, the spokesperson said that doesn’t mean the original name goes away.

“A name registered at birth remains on the NSW Births, Deaths and Marriages Register forever,” the spokesperson said. “Even if the name is formally changed.”

Drysdale said she had been deciding between “Methamphetamine Rules” and “Nangs Rule”, referring to the Australian slang for nitrous oxide canisters used to get a fleeting high.

But she decided against Nangs Rule in case the approver at the registry didn’t know what Nangs were and it was approved.

“We chose methamphetamine thinking there’s no way that anyone will see that word and think it’s OK,” said Drysdale, who added her husband took some convincing to agree to the experiment. “But we were wrong.”

Drysdale said she was under the impression that if a name was rejected by the registry, they choose one for you.

She had reached out to the registry for answers to her show’s segment on what names can be legally given to a baby in Australia which will air on Wednesday.

The spokesperson for NSW Births, Deaths and Marriages said it “does not choose what name parents give a child”.

However, the state government’s website detailing the rules states if a name for a baby cannot be registered and parents do not provide an alternative, the registrar may assign a name.

Under the rules, the registrar will not approve a name if it is offensive and not in the public interest. It also will not approve given names that are more than 50 characters, include symbols, or an official title or rank such as princess, Queen, or goddess.

Drysdale said she would not yet reveal what her baby’s new name is yet.

“My husband said maybe his nickname should be ‘Speedy’, but I’m sure he will develop his own nickname that’s appropriate to his real name and his personality,” Drysdale said.

“He’s a very chill child, a beautiful baby boy, so not anything like a meth user.”

7 minutes ago, Coss said:

How ever you dress this story, the mother is an Attention Whore,

Not sure I agree with you on that. The story probably should have provided a bit more background.

Keep in mind is was done from a journalistic position as part of WTFAQ, or What The FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) to the uninitiated,  ABC's new eight-part series which sees a crack team of presenters — including comedian Lou wall — perform scientific experiments, talk to experts and put their bodies on the line all in the name of answering some of life's most perplexing questions.

What is wrong? The name complies with NSW Baby Naming Rules

it may be ignorance on some peoples part, the parents included, to assume “Amphetamine” is an illegal drug, as in good ol’ Speed, SE Asian Yaba or Crystal Meth etc.

But it is also used in many prescription drugs the most common being Adderall, a common drug prescribed for ADHD and Narcolepsy and as such is no different than naming a child Losartan (beta blockers) Rules, a stupid name admittedly, but not against the rules.

What Kirsten Drysdale has done is neither a scientific experiment, talking to experts or putting her body on the line all in the name of answering some of life's most perplexing question, it is just being a narcissist moron TBH.

Kirsten Drysdale a millennial (1984 easy to check) could have quite easy done an online search form NSW baby naming rules and found out the name did not breach them, you know just like I did, a boomer who the younger generations accuse of not being tech savvy. But no, rather than doing the sensible thing she heads off on a tangent to prove what was already know at the click of a button using her child along the way.

I was surprised her producers allowed her to do such, then realised ABC Australia with its Woke agenda, well yes nothing surprise me. 
(Grumpy Old Man moment) In my day Social Services would have been right round her house and questioning her on child abuse, who puts a child through such in the name of “Journalism”

She also used to write for a publication called Crikey who loved pushing peoples buttons 😊

These College Students Claim Their Cafeteria Food Is Racist

A group of Oberlin students say their school's dining hall efforts to serve traditional Asian cuisine have become downright offensive. A Banh Mi Vietnamese sandwich, which should be made with grilled pork, pickled veggies and a baguette, was made with pulled pork, coleslaw and ciabatta bread, according a report last month in their campus newspaper, the Oberlin Review. And General Tso's Chicken, which should be topped with ginger-garlic soy sauce, was doused in a sauce "so weird that I didn't even try," one student complained.

But these students say getting the dishes wrong is about more than just offending their tastebuds — it's dispectful of their cultures. 

"When you're cooking a country's dish for other people, including ones who have never tried the original dish before, you're also representing the meaning of the dish as well as its culture," said Tomoyo Joshi, a student from Japan, who complained about the sushi's undercooked rice and not-so-fresh fish. "So if people not from that heritage take food, modify it and serve it as 'authentic,' it is appropriative."

Another student suggested that Bon Appetit, the school's dining service, consult with the proper student organizations before making their menus.

"I wish they could do something like a collaboration with the cultural student [organizations] before starting new stuff like this [sushi bar]," said Mai Miyagaki, a student from Japan. "Overall, I think we — including myself — can always learn more about how to admit that we don't know everything about every culture in the world and have a 'We're still trying to learn more' kind of attitude."

And, in fact, the students' demands have already made a difference. After the article was published, representatives from the South Asian, Vietnamese and Chinese student associations met with members of Campus Dining Services to voice their concerns. According to a follow-up article in the Oberlin Review, the school has agreed to be more sensitive when naming their dishes that have strayed too far from the original inspiration.

"Maybe what we should do is describe the dish for what it is as opposed to characterizing it with a specific name," Michile Gross, the school's director of business operations and dining services, told the paper.

Sounds like students can then expect more "pork sandwiches" and "chicken in sauce."

https://www.crikey.com.au/2019/11/08/truth-about-online-outrage/

Typical for people who don’t know what the fuck they are on about, Banh Mi is just the Bread, rather like a Baguette.

For sandwiched there are various fillings

• Banh Mi Bi                 Shredded Pork or Pork skin doused in Fish Sauce 
  • Banh Mi Xiu Mai        Pork Balls Sandwich
  • Banh Mi Thit Nguoi   Ham Sandwich
  • Banh Mi Ca Moi.        Sardine Sandwich 
  • Banh Mi Ga Nurong   Chicken Sandwich 
  • etc

So anyone who says that a Banh Mi shoukd be made with Grilled Pork is speaking through their arse.

After having spent 6 years in Vietnam having various Banh Mi for lunch at work 5 days a week (well over 1,000 Banh Mi) I just may know what the fuck I am talking about.