Marriage visa

Hi,

I am seriously considering getting a marriage visa. Any pros / cons I need to be aware off?

Also does anybody know what the exact requirements are, besides being legally married? I believe you need to bring in a certain amount of money a year from overseas?

Sanuk!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If only Honolulu62 was here...

Actually, now that Delphi is clamping down again, maybe you could offer to bring his readership back into the fold, so to speak, if Delphi just doesn't work for them anymore? Very knowledgable bunch in regards to visas.

I think it should be legally registered over HERE.

In case you did not do that, you have to.

So all 'Thai wife married to foreigner' restrictions apply.

Land ownership; is not really a problem if you declare the house is bought from her money alone.

So forget any mortage if she has not a solid paying job.

And: the law permits spouses from farangs to own land, but I think from all the stories i've heard that they forgot to tell the land departments.

And if you declare the land is bought with her money there may be a problem if she dies; The inheritance laws are not clear on this. Some say that you inherit but have to sell within 180 days, some say that her family inherits because you as a farang are not important to them (They are not sure whether you will agree to hand over a handsome amount of money to speed up the legislative process)

Better think twice!

I don't know the exact requirements, but what I do know is that it's fairly easy to obtain a marriage visa. After one year, one has to show income (read work permit, since you have to have one in order to earn money - legally) or money coming in from abroad to your thai bank account. From what I was told, you have to bring in something like 20.000 baht a month.

Regarding mortages on houses. I also thought that it was hard to get one unless the thai lady in question could show a decent income. But after I talked to my landlord, who is really into real estate, I was told differently. He claimed that it was easy to get a mortage if one could pay at least 25% cash when purchasing the house. I don't know if it will only be easy if you know someone at the bank or if this applies to everybody. Anyway, he promised to help me and that's enough for me. Connections sure gets things done in this country.

Hi,

"What is marriage visa?"

A marriage visa is a non-immigrant (don't know which type, maybe 'O'(ther) ), which allows you to stay in Thailand for periods of one year at a time. It can be extended in Bangkok without having the leave the country.

Sanuk!

Khun Sanuk,

You are referring to a non-immigrant O VISA, which is for spouses of Thai nationals. Rules have very recently been changed on this, but this type of VISA supposedly gives you multiple entries, etc, for a year. The O VISA, however, is not a substitue for a work permit.

This is what you need:

Application form TM.7

Two copies of passport or substitute document.

Marriage certificate.

If any children from the marriage, their birth certificates.

Proof of financial status -

200,000 Baht deposited in a Thai bank (details of this forthcoming - whether this needs to be a fresh depost or not needs clarification)

Documentation showing an income of at least 20,000 Baht/month.

House registration of spouse.

Identity card of spouse.

Two passport photos.

Hope that helps.

froggo

Archived