Marriage visa

Hi,

"200,000 Baht deposited in a Thai bank (letter from bank confirming the deposit to be no more than 10 days old)"

So, 200K in a mutual account that has been deposited over the last year or so would not count?

"Documentation showing an income of at least 20,000 Baht/month."

Do you need to show this when applying? I though you just needed to show that you brought in 200K or so in the last year when you go to renew.

Sanuk!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boot, I'm still confused.

Are you saying that you need a leter from the bank confirming that you have a lump sum of 200,000 in your account?

Or are you saying you need a letter showing you've brought in 200,000 total in the previous 12 months? [This second option would be a total of wire transfers to a Thai bank, I hope].

As far as I know the B200,000 is to satisfy the authorities that you can support your wife in the manner to which she has become accustomed! I think the previous posters were saying that the letter (or your bank pass book) should show that the money has been in there for at least 10 days rather than just deposited there before you applied for the visa.

However, this only has to be done at the initial application. I have had this visa for 6 years and the only time my bank book was needed was at the initial application - for which I borrowed the money from my employer to whom I returned it once the pass book was updated.

LG

Let me see if I can get this 10-day point clarified. The way I understood it, was that it needed to be a fresh 200,000 inserted into a bank account, but after reading Long Gun's post, it may well be the opposite. I am dealing with this at present, so I will see what I can come up with asap.

I have also edited the prior post to reflect the lack of certainty over this point.

froggo

I did it years ago (mid 1980s), and it was quite easy. I had to show my work permit, visa etc and a copy of my marriage registration. I had to show that I was working and could support a wife, not the other way around! I took my wife down to immigration one time, since they wanted to see her. Since she is a civil servant, it was a snap. (She considerably outranked the policeman filling in the forms.) After that, I just went down by myself and renewed it each year. My wife's position probably eased things somewhat, but I saw fellows who were married to obvious bar girls (by the way they dressed and acted). It didn't seem to make any difference, as long as the marriage was properly registered and all. I'd heard that the police would come by your house or apartment to check if you had your wife's clothes in the closet, and maybe ask the neighbours if you lived together. (That was to prevent false marriages simply for the sake of a visa. Lots of Chinese reportedly were trying to gain residence in Thailand that way.) But no one ever checked up on me.

I did my visa that way for a number of years, losing it when I went back to the States for a while. Nowadays, I do my visa through my job. But I wish I still had it the old way. It was comforting knowing my visa would not end whenever my job did!

p.s. The visa is a 1 year renewable non-immigrant type. Renewing it was simple as could be. Just show that I was working and had a valid work permit. You DO have to be working, or at least did then. Nowadays, maybe it's enough just to show you have a sufficient amount of money in the bank.

p.s. The negative back then was that your wife lost her right to buy property! She could keep what she already owned, but not buy any more. My Mrs was quite upset to learn that. She said to me, "You mean I'm not Thai anymore?" A friend actually had his wife file for divorce from him and then have her buy the land for their home. (They already had one child.) They later re-registered their marriage when the wife got pregnant with child #2. Nowadays, the laws on land ownership have eased up considerably. But it is a pain in the butt when you find out you are restricted in some ways.

Getting a mortgage on a house is very straight forward, if you qualify.

Basically, the banks determine the amount on the basis of your combined income. You monthly payment (interest + loan repayment) should not exceed 30 percent of your combined income.

If you are a foreigner you can not own the house, but if you have permanent residency you can be joint mortgage owner.

Not sure in case of 1 year or shorter visa's though.

We just bought our second home, so I'm speaking from recent experience. Did have to state at the land office that I agreed to my wife being sole owner. No problem for me since we are married a long time and she's also the sole owner of our other house which we own already for 16 years.

Would advise against this if you have only just entered into a relationship, or your Thai wife or girlfriend does not work at all but depends solely on you financial support, as she may be out to clean you out and kick you out when youre no longer financially interesting to her.

I've seen hunderds of cases likes this, so be warned, specially when she's from a BG environment.

As far as I know a foreigner cannot own immovable property.

That would apply to the land and the house. Yuo could probably own a trailer home though.

You can own a condo, as long as the total foreign ownership of the entire building does not exceed 40 %.

There are exception. A foreigner investing a large amount can obtain permission to buy max. 1 rai for residential purposes

Archived