Aids ? Denial ?

actually, at the place i would recommend you to go they are used to people gawkning at them. it is a bit sick, but they have tours of thai tourists going through the wards and they mainly just gawk.

if you go there, buy a few juices in the shop not far from the ward, give it to the sick and chat with them, i think you are more than welcome there.

the stats i have been told about intravenous drug users here in thailand is that about 40% are HIV positive. i have seen it many times how they shared needles and used a common waterbucket to clean their needles.

and some of them were thermae regulars, and many of them had farang "boyfriends" sending money over every month...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

MCJ,

I too have worked in Zambia and confirm what you say. There are however other reasons in Africa to take into account:

1. sexual practices-dry sex, little foreplay etc which MASSIVELY affect the risks

2. Belief in voodoo preventions-I talked to many educated Africans who believed this

3. Different strains of the virus.

I concur with all you say but the situations are not exactly the same and hence the results differ. Of course, the Thais are smart enough to send any sick ones back to the villages to die and protect the trade, compared to the Africans who choose the denial route and simply say they died of whatever disease they had, rather than acknowledginmg that low immune levels actually made them die of a disease usually perfectly recoverable from. The usual phrase in Zambia was he dies of a 'sickness', you saw it every day in the paper.

• 2 weeks later...

I think a lot of people are overly paranoid about HIV. Probably for the best, since it's such a serious disease. I know I'm probably overly paranoid.

About 3 months ago I was going though a fooling around with bar girls a lot phase and had a condom break. Caught it early, pulled out, washed off well and pissed. Didn't think of it again until I came down with a fever 10 days later, and then got a rash a few days after that, which could have been ARS. I freaked and went to find the girl I had been with if she would do a test. She agreed, came out negative. I was still paranoid though, because she could have been in her very-contagious, but testing negative phase (2-6 weeks long). Finially mustered up the courage and tested myself a few weeks ago. Negative. Probably Dengue Fever, which is pretty common, and in most cases not very serious. Timing sure freaked me out though!

Are you sure no aids test is needed for a work permit?

One of my friends just applied for his and had to do the test. He was doing the work permit application the regular way with no middle man involved.

Archived