Bar girl kicking last night in nana

Bembaman

Although I like to think that deep down inside I'm "Jai Dee" and never like to see anyone get hurt, in Thailand there's always the feeling that you don't know what you're getting involved in. There's also the fear of being in some sort of fracas when the boys in brown turn up and them seeing farang fighting with Thai. I wonder who'd get the blame.

Cheers

up the Latics

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BNassGod,

If you lived here, believe me, you would restrain yourself. it never entered my head for one second to intervene, pissed (drunk, not angry!)as I was. You just do not do it unless you want some of the same and probably more.

Back in the UK I would be programmed to intervene and here I am likewise programmed not to. It is cultural and as a farang you are not welcome to participate in such things. You cannot win.

Ok, I guess this should be cleared up. I also saw this incident and although I didn't see the start of it I did see the end of it and I was right there in the doorway as it happened. Two Thai guys gave another Thai GUY a hiding. About what? I have no idea, nor did many who were there. The Thai guy in question was leaking blood from a gash to his head. He was then picked up and carried off.

It's funny how things get told as it didn't happen. Also, I never saw a farang guy run off after the two Thais. I think you'd be pretty stupid to want to involve yourself in something that was obviously a Thai only affair.

As an afterthought, it still does make you wonder about Thai thuggery: any means to the desired end. I've been at that other end before and it's pretty nasty no matter how cowardly you view it. Though it's not really a respected way of battle for Thais - there's actually a derogative term for this that the Thais use - mahmoo - ËÃÒËÃÙè, which literally translates as 'pack of dogs'.. but which could translate to mean 'cowards'. I don't think Thais don't have the same sense of honour that Westerners have in doing one-to-one combat.

FF

When it comes to other people's fights I am as appalled as anyone - however I practice the technique used by police world-wide - finish the burger, have a coffee and smoke and then travel to the event in first-gear! When you finally intervene, things maybe over or at least controllable, any damage to anyone would have been done far earlier anyway to stand a chance of preventing. When you wade into the altercation at its heat, all alone, the heat will probably end up on you, as well as often you see the fight and intervene shortly before a combatant's twenty friends do too and then you could be seriously in danger, it's not gutless not to help just very wise. smile.gif (unless the victim is elderly, infirm etc or other mitigating circumstances)

I believe in avoiding trouble. I guess my involvement would depend on my proximity to the situation. The closer I am the more I am tempted to get involved. I think if I saw that the danger would involve a very serious injury or death to a participant I would intervene in some manner (yell, call for help, try to break it up, throw water, etc). If the altercation is just your garden variety smack around then I wouldn't bother.

Archived