to help the girl......but

If you are their on holiday it is better to walk away

as a week or so recovering in Bumangrad Hospital

after a beating is not my idea of a holiday

chok dee

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was one incident only that night. Somewhere between two and four Thais attacked one Thai outside Bottoms up. The motivation was friends of a girl who worked in there were not happy with one of the managers handling of a situation involving the girl. Basically, friends of the girl were trying to tell the bar what they could and could not do. Not sure what the right side of this fight would have been. The police investigated and all parties have settled everything amongst themselves and medical bills have been paid.

Right or wrong, it is generally a good idea, anywhere, to not get involved in a dispute unless you really know what is going on, where the battle lines are drawn and who the combatants are. You might just be stepping in on the wrong side. In Thailand if it is a balanced spontaneous fights the Thais will generally step in to calm the situation down. If the Thais are stepping in then a Farang will probably only get in the way and make things worse. If the Thais are not stepping in then it is for a good reason and a Farang would be advised to stay out of it.

To put another perspective on it...imagine a Thai in New York or Los Angeles stepping in to stop a car-jacking, drive by shooting or gang fight. Probably not a wise choice.

As to the "Thugs" on motorcycles at the front. Not true. Their job is to watch for police entering the plaza and alert bar owners so the girls can cover up before the police enter the bars. It is all a game as there are already plenty of plain-clothes police in the plaza but it looks good on the reports to say the police entered the plaza to look for violations of law and found nothing wrong. God help the bar-owner stupid enough to let them find anything wrong?.that?s why the police walk so slow They work for the various large bars and keep the riff-raff out of the plaza. The plaza would be a worse place without them.

There is no Nana Plaza security except for the uniformed guy at the entrance who has no real function except to report maintenance problems and patrol after hours. Each bar handles their own security in their own way with some of the larger bars employing bouncers and off-duty police. There are also plain-clothes police in the Plaza at most times and uniformed police who patrol several times nightly.

The particular Tommy, the name is Ahm and the cute girls that sits with him/her is his girlfriend, referred to is an employee of Crown Group and to my knowledge has never struck a Farang or a Thai in the Plaza. Although it is his/her job to "round up the troops" when a customer refuses to pay a Crown Group bar tab and try to resolve it before the uniformed police are called. He also closes down most of the cash registers and computers at the end of the night.

Every bar has its own drill for handling situations but a good example of how it works would be about 8 months ago when 6 big Farangs thought they were cute by eating their 4,000 Baht bar bill. The humor of this was dampened by the fact that this was about the third time these same guys had tried the same thing in several bars.

These 6 guys attacked one unarmed off-duty policeman and two were hospitalized as a result. The motorcycle "Thugs" did nothing except to round up enough Crown Group employees to totally block all the avenues of escape until two uniformed police arrived, listened politely to the lead Farang explain, in English that he was married to a close member of the Royal Family and he was going to have Nana Plaza closed down. After patiently listening the uniformed police told the guy to either settle with the bar, pay them 10,000 Baht, fight with them and get killed or come to the police station to settle the matter. The bar dropped the bill to 3,000 and the Farangs left threatening to return with more friends. The next time they entered the plaza it was noted by the "Thugs" and each bar the entered was notified. After nobody was willing to take a drink order in three bars they left.

Anybody have any idea of a better way to handle drunken obnoxious Farangs? I know when I have some drunk tell me that he?s not going to pay his bill because he doesn?t want to or that he?s not going to leave my bar at 2AM and wants another drink or he?ll kick my scrawny (I wish) butt I?m glad to have these guys around.

Anybody remember the folksinger Phil Ochs, mid-late 60's and his song 'Outside a Small Circle of Friends' from the Pleasures of the Harbor album?:

"Look outside the window

there's a woman being grabbed

they've dragged her to the bushes

and now she's being stabbed

Maybe we should call the cops

and try to stop the pain

but Monopoly is so much fun

we'd hate to blow the game

Besides it wouldn't interest anybody

Outside a small circle of friends..."

>I'm sorry I thought this was a story about a woman being beaten by a man <

doesn't make a difference, a fight is a fight, and here in thailand women are not the little cute helpless things they appear to be. many farang had to learn that the hard way. they tend to fight the same way as thai men are fighting, very hard, very extreme.

you are well advised to stay out of problems here which don't concern you, interfering has a tendency to backfire in ways you don't want to know.

whatever, everybody has to learn his own lessons.

Back in the UK I would be programmed to intervene

-------------------------------------------------------------

I bet its more dangerous intervening up here than it would be in Los what with the broken bottle and the Stanley knife being the weapons of choice.

How often do these altercations occur in and around the plaza?

Archived