Why do TG become BG's?

I'll give my view, but stand to be corrected.

First of there is a distinct difference between the Thai and Farang nightlife scene. And then there is the scene catering to other Asians (Japanese, Korean, Chinese etc).

Why, in Thailand, do so many girl enter these scenes and prostitute themselves (or is it really prostitution as we call it in the west?)

Lets start by the Thai nitelife scene, as that has been around much longer than the other 2. Its very male oriented. This may be changing in Bangkok and some other cities, but in general Thai males go out with male friends en very very seldom take their wifes along.

In the higher levels of Thai Society (there we go again), marriages are often arranged. Its a business deal bringing two families closer together. They'll have children, but there may be little love. Love is found with the mia noi.

Girls from the lower levels of Thai Society can benfit greatly from becoming a mia noi to a wel-to-do Thai. Of course she has to be beautiful an acceptable to the Thai male. The only way for the upcountry girl with little education to actually meet a potential benefactor is by entering the Thai nitelife scene. If she can become a mia noi, her (and her family's) financial benefits can be beyond belief. For poor upcoutry families with a beautiful daughter it can be THE way out of poverty.

The non-Thai Asian scene does not differ much from the Thai scene. The Farang scene does.

Girls not beautiful in the eyes of the well-to-do Thais or other Asians (too dark skinned, over 23 or so), or those that are otherwise unacceptable in that scene (having kids, divorced) enter the farang scene if that's their choice. I believe that for many the initial objective is to also find a benefactor, and get themselves and their families out of poverty.

GTG and some of the others really look down on the farang BG-scene, but tend to forget that its basically an extension of the traditional Thai nitelife scene and a good place for those girls unable to be succesful in the Thai scene to make money and perhaps find someone that will support them and their families. Its part of life in a class oriented country, were there is a great difference between classes.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GTG ......look down on the farang BG-scene

----------------------------

I understand her thai woman's point of view. She cannot possibly have the same indulgent look towards it as farang males do. I am quite sure her reaction is close to what our parents would think if we intoduced a western GF to them, and answering their question "what does she do?", with "prostitute". Just for her to mingle with us on Nana is proof she is not that stuck up, anyway.

why? As Sir E. Hillary would say: "because it's there!".

meaning that a more interesting question for me is "why is male-servicing as an industry so pervasive, so accepted in Thailand?". beyond $$ and tourism, a lot more is at work, and that did not pop out like a genie (tal) out of a bottle.

Very few options for them to break the poverty cycle that so many of them live in. Money is the only way out and it takes a lot to get out. Sad but true.

DD

Certainly villagers come to Bangkok for jobs. But that doesn't answer why TG's become BG's. Some villagers come and clean the hotels, work in the restaurants, and some become BG's.

Compare that to Bangkok girls who also work in restaurants and the like, but are more into department stores, government positions, and so forth and rarely seem to become BG's.

There is some overlap, but it is almost like there are two career ladders not unlike technical and management ladders in companies. Maybe Bangkok girls are brought up to strive for status where village girls just want to make as much money as they can to break the cycle of poverty. Same for the family as you hear there are people that go out to the villages to sign up BG's. I have never heard of such marketing going on in Bangkok.

interesting thread!

one girl in pattaya said she came there to get an abortion after a thai man got her pregnant & then left. quite usual here I guess.

well she then started of by working in a restaurent, but soon found out the money & work load was better at a bar beer so there she is now for th 3rd year.

ok she did fall in love with a young german dude last month & got the passport & all, but now it seems he's pissed 'cos she is back at work(fucking farang), so he ain't gonna give her the promised visa (and money) anyway!

sounds like another typical story to me?

I don?t have a ready answer for ?why?, but I do know it started long before any of us were born. European visitors to Siam in the 16th and 17th century commented on the ready availability of ?rental wives.? There are even earlier Chinese chronicles of the sex trade in Thailand. Even that relatively recent invention, the Thai massage parlor, has enjoyed a notorious reputation for a surprisingly long time. Somerset Maugham wrote an amusing piece about touts handing out brochures for sudsy massage parlors back when he visited Thailand. Since SM was queer as a three dollar bill, I doubt that he paid a visit, but it is amazing to think there were MPs even back then.

Archived