Why do TG become BG's?

very interesting thread. I have not seen any study or remarks about if any traits (i.e. sexual abuse, alcoholic family, weak family values etc.) have been isolated on what contributes to a girl joining the adult entertainment industry. On the surface, it seems that everyone says that poverty pressures drive them but doesn't explain why factory workers or maids who have the same financial home pressures but elect not to become BGs. I think it has to do with whatever the thai morality structure is. While I don't truly understand thai morality, it does seem to be very different from ours......

Would be interested in any sociological papers or articles looking at this very subject. Anyone looking to do a Master's thesis?

Cardinalblue

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Nearly half of all Thailand's villagers live below the poverty line, according to the Industry Ministry's Community Development Department? An annual income of less than 20,000 baht is among the criteria used to identify poor households. The survey said that people in 47.9% of villages earned less than 20,000 baht in 2001. The average income was 15,934 baht? Mae Raem in Phrae Province was the poorest village in Thailand, with an average per capita income of just 607 baht.'

These figures should also serve to remind those who think girls who demand upwards of 20,000 baht a month -not a year- from walking wallets who want these true loves of their lives to cease bonking other foreign men for remuneration, are basically being ripped off big time.

[color:purple] I think your reaching a little here. Your figures have no realistic basis. Last time I checked the costs of living in BKK, Pattaya or Phuket were way more than living in a village. Last time I checked the standards of living in a village were not even on scale with that of a city. That is like a peson earning the average wage in Appalachia trying to live in Manhattan. That is impossible. Your comparing an apple to a Durian. color=purple>

Cardinalblue,

I think you are right. And if it has flourished for centuries to such an extent that even visitors 400 years ago were commenting on the extent of the "trade", there must be something else at play here.

a lot of the girls do it to support the family.

and i admire them.

cannot be a good way to earn money,under some of the 'smelly falangs'

i know many of them are doing it to give an education to their kids,and i applaud them for that.

but some of them do it because they like the money.

i admire them for doing it.

to better themselves/families

Orandanodes,

Excellent subject, and I like the way it was presented without judgments applied to all girls in the trade (such as they're lazy and immoral). Some prior comments by other board members have included statements such as "Why else would bargirls sleep with fat smelly farang other than greed for money?" Your point about wanting to meet a potential benefactor seems to be consistent with many of the girls I have met. Also, I wonder if ladies working in the Thai-only nightlife get a better quality of customer than the ladies working in the farang scene?

Shotover

"another reason is the increasing collapse of traditional village structures. for so many girls it just seems to be the easiest option."

Would you mind expanding on these traditional village structures? I agree many bargirls are in the trade for the excitement of meeting new people even and being with their friends at the bars when they have an overseas boyfriend providing them all the money they need.

Shotover

"Escape Rabbit

Certainly villagers come to Bangkok for jobs."

A common story I hear from BGs as to when they first came to Bkk is that they came when they were 15 - 17 years old to work as a maid or in a market, usually through a friend or family contact. They then found the money they made and hours worked did not provide them with the means to support the families back in the village, and they started working in the bars, or freelancing, to make more money with less effort.

Usually they have a friend from their village who helps them transition from a "normal" job to the nightscene.

Shotover

Archived