Does Common Sense Exist In Thailand?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We can relate to that, but telling anecdotes backing your opinion would make the thread less oppositional (can't find a better adjective now). I think sometimes it's a quality, in the sense that it shows that "mai pen rai" notion. usually, good logical sense often makes people a lot more serious, more concerned about efficiency and less able to enjoy anything as it comes. Too much if, should, shoulda, and in thailand, a logical farang is just that. Makes no difference to them.

you wanna get personal with me, mr. common sense? up to you...

just let me ask you a few questions first.

how did you come to that very wise conclusion about the lack of common sense? you must speak thai very well, to conduct such an indepth antropological study about the thai psychology, penetrated the thai society very deep on all levels?

pointing the term out of a phrasebook once is a very novel and inventitive methology, very conclusive indeed.

i would be interested to know your other highly sophisticated ways of researching so that one day i can come to similar conclusions as you can.

wow, man, only six years, and you have it figured out: locals show a lack of common sense.

i am impressed!

>Common Sense in Thailand is that during raining season is when there is water in the khlongs so that they can have the workers water the plants and shrubs with their vehical, even if it will pour rain in an hour or so. <

common sense for example, speaking about klongs, is that where we bought our land, the puyaiban has the plan to build a small dam in the mountains so that the little klong going through the valley can be stopped in a small lake and released during the dry season. than every farmer in the valley can have water the whole year for free.

DB,

I have tried this with a couple of different phrase books and got the same response. I asked if they understood the meaning of the phrase "yes" and I still got the same response.

I can follow this up by saying that I had the same response from the Chinese when I lived there.

I am not bashing the Thia's or the Chinese for that matter. I am mearly stating an observation that I have had in several countries where I have lived and worked.

I see behavior that just makes me wonder "why"

DD

I have way too many to list.

My post was meant in a good natured way.

If others can't see that, too bad.

I have 15 Thai's working for me and I see them do the strangest things on a daily basis. I often ask them "why" and after hearing their explination. I give them an example of comon sense that would have been an easier way to solve their problem. After doing this most of the time they look at me with amazement and they learn from that.

DD

you wanna get personal with me, mr. common sense?

------------------------------------

Fly, there was no much harm in his answer, nothing that you can't just let pass. I disagree with you about the fact that you have to research thai culture in depth (though that's something i love to probe and read about) to be amused by a few events that happen in front of your eyes. Thais most likely have all the common sense they need, and much "illogical" in our eyes is to be traced to the culture, no doubt. Still, there are instances where you can't help but be amused or frustrated. This friend of mine had his GF in his country and as she stayed home and it was cold, he showed her the thermostat, so she cramked it to the top, and when it was too hot...she opened the windows, thermostat still cranked up. he told me it took a few days for her to just do it the right way. Was she stupid? No. was she finding a quick, no thinking, no elaborate way to deal with the hot and cold, I think yes! My GF always tells me to buy a new phone when the conversation is not clear. i explain to her the phone is fine, just the system screws up sometimes. But she still think i bought a cheap phone. Is she stupid? No. Does she think if it does not work it's broken or no good, i think yes. Just little instances where a quick fix is better than being a little patient. We went to City hall for her papers, staff was at lunch in front of us, and she sits down waiting, so i tell her let's have lunch too, we will come back when they're at work again. is she stupid? No. does she think now that we came, found the right desk, let's just wait, yes. Of course, there are many ways that thais are actually very resourceful, but that was not the topic of the thread.

DB,

It seems that I get along better with my Thai staff than I do with some members of this borad......

When my staff tells me I am so smart and they are dumb. I answer the questionl ike this.

No, you are not stupid.

Yes, I am smarter than you in some ways, just like in some ways you are smarter than me. I know things you don't, but there are things you know that I don't.

This is because we both come from different backgrounds & educations. No one in my office is dumber than anyone else.

Like they always say "you have to learn to laugh at yourself before you can laugh at others"

DD

Archived